As background, one of my early switches was dead, and the other was "in the throws". I searched the web, contacted the dealer, all the parts houses, and found that the chrome surround switches were the dreaded NLA.

In order to run my windows I bought a couple of the new style, with black surrounds, and tried chroming them but they never looked right and the switch itself was wrong as well. So I took matters into my own hands.

Using the trusty Dremmel, I cut the tops off the new switches, just below the black surrounds exposing the guts.

Then came the extremely tricky part, placing the old switch in a vice length-wise, and squeezing them a bit so they would bow a tiny bit. I inserted two small flat blade screw drivers on opposite sides to pry up the switch. You need to be careful to offset the screw drivers a bit off-center in order to not damage the center-most posts coming from the switch going into the outer housing.

Be certain to be gentle in order to not dig the screw drivers in too deep and mar the chrome surround.

The first thing I noticed in the old switches were depressions where the teeter-totter style contacts make purchase. I carefully sanded them just enough to remove the majority of the dimple. (The ideal thing to do would be to place a drop of solder on the top of each contact and then file or sand them to their original level, but I really couldn't noodle out how to accomplish either consider the very tight space.) I then swapped the two teeter-totter contacts and the little spring held buttons from the switches.

For reassembly, I greased the pegs on the switches to help ease them back into place. With the old assembly in the squeezing vice, I gently pried the original switch back into the chrome surround - being very careful to not damage the pegs.

Parts swapped: the two teeter-totter contacts and the two plastic buttons attached to the springs.

The results: The old switches work like new. I am aware with the contacts sanded down a bit, their life time may not be as long as new, but they sure beat dead.