Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of restored 2.2 911E Coupé?

Value of restored 2.2 911E Coupé?

Maybe this will help me decide what I want to do with my car. I have been thinking about "R-Gruppe" modifications, tasteful things and a 2.8-3.0 MFI engine, but no flares, roll cage or extensive modifications.

# 911.022.0587 Karmann Non-sunroof 1970 911E Coupe

It is a rust-free car right now, apart and ready for prep/paint (no metalwork needed). No evidence of accidents, clean title AZ/CA car...going to get a very high-quality repaint

-Original 1818 Albert Blue / Tan-Beige

-Original drivetrain present, numbers match, no mods engine #6200937

-restored Autobahn interiors dash, fresh gauges by North Hollywood

-Deep 6 Fuchs wheels (sold the 14" original Fuchs)

-911S suspension package: factory swaybars, alloy brakes, converted from the hydro struts to 911S Koni units

-stock seats

-partial tool kit

-no books, no records to speak of. Clean title, perfect body, roughly 100,000 miles

What would you guys ballpark for my car in a nice state: proper perfect 2.2E engine rebuild including all MFI rebuilt, fresh transmission (original), fresh shocks, rebuilt brakes, all new body rubber and fresh Glasurit paint, Deep 6 Weidman wheels, round out the toolkit and install fresh factory-pattern carpet?

It sounds silly, but I am kind of thinking I should do this car to original , sell it on, and buy a more beat-up car to build a RS-type car...circa '72-74 ...that is, if it makes sense ..and you see some "OK" 911E's, but generally the 911E's are not at the quality level of a similar 911S, because they aren't quite valuable enough to justify the restoration, perhaps?

Thanks for your thoughts
    Scott
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Man Scott, the color combo is sublime. I'd keep her original...

Value done? Tough to say in the current market. Prices are coming down. I'd say 30-40k depending on the quality of all the resto work. The lack of documentation will turn some of the high rollers off but hey!

Still......Total stock sleeper look with a 3.0 mfi????? Tasty!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Scott,
    It costs about as much to restore car as hot rod it, both are money losing financial propositions unless you do all the work your self. Build what you want to drive.
    Phil

Yea, Michael, I definitely love the color and would leave that

I am more asking whether I should build the original engine or build a hot rod engine because I can't do both. The engine is really the expensive part (as if the rest of it wasn't ) But if I have to sell it in the future would it be worth good money with a 2.7-3.0 MFI? I would hope someone could appreciate a car like that (Marco's blue car kind of) but the widest appeal is always "original"...

Any resto done would be top-shelf. I wouldn't goof up the car; gotta do it right if you're going to do it at all, has always been my philosophy

I guess I will put the ST seats in that were just done by Autobahn with a really nice "Camel" vinyl from a 70s-80s Mercedes (high-quality but not Porsche vinyl). The original seats are actually really nice but you can't match the color of that vinyl, and the rest of the interior was shot from being in the Arizona desert . That and they are not sport seats

I have a 70T transmission with all the fixin's , see signature..original transmission is safely packed in a box indoors along w/ the engine

Also have parts for original engine (MFI) and a set of MFI that Supertec did for me, good for a 2.7-3.0, just sitting here tempting me

Thanks guys, I guess I should just build the fast one b/c that's what I want to drive

Scott
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

“If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    Still......Total stock sleeper look with a 3.0 mfi????? Tasty!
    Already been done ... and sold.

Scott, I'm going to give you the best piece of advice you could get. BUILD THE CAR THAT YOU WANT TO OWN. The minute you start basing your decisions on "market value" or "other people's taste" you've lost. At that point you might as well throw in the towel on your project. Build the car that makes you happy, and enjoy the hell out of the experience. If you like it and you think it's cool then guess what, IT IS!!!

If you build it, they will come ... and when you're ready to sell they will bring duffle bags full of money.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Scott,
    Build what you will keep!
    Luke
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

You guys make me laugh

I mean, I really wouldn't kick a 2.2 E out of bed, it's a good car

but if I want to sport around and use it, maybe I could save some $$ buying something more ratty ..of course I love the car I've got though

I wouldn't be 'making money' on it either way, I guess I was asking which one would I lose less money on ?

Hopefully I can keep it for a long time because that would be awesome. Nothing is forcing me to sell now but you never know what you will want $$ for later on (house, kids, can't get a job, or worse..)
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

Why not redo it all original but pony up for a used 3.2 or 3.6 carrera motor?

You can keep the original motor as is and save the 10k+ for the rebuild of it and the MFI, but have the performance you seem to desire.

numerous reasons

Generally not a fan of used motors, you don't necessarily know what you are getting and I build engines so that's kind of a sticking point for me. For example I have seen a few "good used" engines with spark plugs torqued to 70 lb.-ft. by some gorilla and now you have a stripped out plug, gotta take it apart.

That and a 3.2 or 3.6 doesn't make a 901 a happy camper, because they are so torquey and in the low-rpm before the car really has any inertia

By the time you are done fiddling with getting a decent used motor and putting it in this car you could have really done something awesome with just a few more bucks..might as well just save up a little bit longer and then do it really right and save your labor and aggravation

a 3.2 or 3.6 is a good motor but there is just something about early cars because of MFI...it's always such a let-down when you see a car that is supposed to have MFI and it DOESN'T..why else do people pay such stoopid money for it?
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

71 911E resto

Scott,
    I went through the same decision process about a year ago. I bought a 911E roller (engine/tranny came in a box), AZ/CA stored, 88K miles. When it arrived, I couldn't believe how straight and rust free it was. Way too nice to turn into my daily driver hotrod. ( I had a 2.7RS type engine waiting for it) I decided to restore this one to a very high (drivers car) standard and will most likely let it go and then get the next, hotrod project. I'm having a great time doing most of the work myself, which may or may not appeal to the next owner, but......it is turning out very nice. Hopefully...by the time it's complete, the market will correct.

regards,

al

PS: in the last year I saw the E pricing go from $30K to as high as $60K, now back down in the $30-$40K range...maybe that is the the correction.
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com