Thread: wiring loom and headliner removal

Cool wiring loom and headliner removal

time for some expert advice , i am stripping a 911t for resto and have got to the removal of 2 main items ( wiring loom and headliner).
    Now the odds are that one of you out there has done a hands on resto and would be able to give good advise in these areas .
    (1) wiring loom - how should i proceed to remove this and still be able to identify were each wire/run of loom is to go when i re-install it??and how easy it it to get back through the centre tunnel??

(2) headliner - the car has a mint condition genuine item that i want to remove carefully so it can be re-installed!! what is the best way to soften the glue on the edges so it will come away cleanly and how should it be stored so not to crease or mark it???
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

wiring loom and headliner removal

Don't know about the headliner, never done one, that's what upolstery shops are for, but I can help on the wiring harness. Basically the harnesses split at the fuse box. The rear harness pulls out from the rear. By disconnecting wires at the fuse box and the remainder that go up to the dash you can pull the harness to the rear thru the bulkheads. The tough part will be getting the harness over the rear torsion bar housing. You can't pull towards the front because the various plugs would not go thru bulkhead holes. The remainder of the front section of harness all removes at the front. TAKE LOTS of pictures before you remove anything, you will be surprised at how much you will forget by the time you reassemble. Mark harness sections with different color tape so that in your pictures you will be able to see how they were laid out, especially all the harnesses in the trunk area, and up under the dash. Remove the gas tank first, this gives you a good place to stand while working the area behind the dash. When you reassemble, the harnesses are the first to go back in.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Unless you're going to dip the chassis, which i think you'll find most people think is not a good idea, you don't have to go to the full extent of removing the entire loom.

I've found that if you pull it from the engine bay into the tunnel and bag, doing the same for the front that you can media blast the car with no ill effect.

Another good idea is to rap the loom with aluminium foil before you tape it, so you don't get any masking tape residue on the loom.

Tony

Hello John,

Just to add to some already good advice:

The headliner can be removed and re-used but as it has already been glued the edges will have become brittle and here is where the problem lies. It is worse for sunroof cars as there is more glued edges. We have done that job just once, and since just fit a new headliner during a car resto.

With regards the wiring looms, it can be a scary job, all those wires! But using a wiring diagram and with lots of info from your own files, IMO I would just remove it and get it out of the way. Then you can also re-wrap it if required. In the last few weeks we have fitted full looms and rewired 3 cars. For me the biggest time factor is checking all parts of the loom to make sure they work. If a known loom (such as yours) is coming out that makes life a lot easier.

HTH

Alan

PS. I have lots of pics on file if that helps

Cool cheers

cheers for the info , i do want to remove the entire loom and rewrap , i don't want any future problems so i'm trying to do everything on the car while completly stripped
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"