Thread: 68 "hot rod" suspension -- request your input

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar

68 "hot rod" suspension -- request your input

Now that Eric has rebuilt my 68S/L brakes (thanks!) and that's all sorted, I'm turning my attention to the suspension.

My 1968 911 coupe -- still a short wheelbase car -- is already modified with rear SC flares and has 7x15 front and 8x15 rear wheels. This larger tire footprint combined with the original suspension all around leads me to scratch my head when approaching a rebuild of the suspension. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

At the moment, the rear suspension arm bushes squeak during travel, and the front suspension (original spec) sits at typical "three fingers high" level. The steering box is original as are A-arms and the factory front sway bar. There is no sway bar in the rear, which has Koni shocks mounted at present. All-in-all it's a fairly stock set-up in need of freshening.

The objective is to replace/rebuild the suspension to slightly more sporting configuration for sporting street driving. I don't want to go to far in the direction of race configuration with resulting loss of street driveability.

Given this, if you were in my shoes, what would you recommend for:

Overall set-up and ride height?
    Shocks/struts?
    Torsion bars (solid/hollow & sizes)?
    Bushings?
    Sway bar(s)?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

I'm in the same boat, I think I will Use larger F/R Torsion bars, keep the stock sway bars, Brakes are stock, which will work fine because the car will be at least 200lbs lighter. The front suspension will eventually be upgraded to a SC or Carrera, w/ the aluminum cross member. Height, as low as I can get without compromising driveability. I've had a car with hard bushings, very annoying, stick to stock for the street, brand new stock bushings, compared to old worn bushings make quite a difference.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by Nordschleife
    Given this, if you were in my shoes, what would you recommend for:

Overall set-up and ride height?
    Shocks/struts?
    Torsion bars (solid/hollow & sizes)?
    Bushings?
    Sway bar(s)?

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Best Regards,
    Andy

Andy, my 68 is set up as follows:
    shocks (ft/rr bilsteins with raised spindles -- painted Koni red of course )
    T bars 21/28
    bushings ERP poly bronze ft/rr with rear monoballs
    sways 18/15 ft/rr

ft suspension is taken off a 930 with Al crossmember although I kept the early quicker ratio steering rack and adapted it to fit Turbo tie rods.

Brakes and 3,2 Carrera ft/rr

All in all I am very happy and would change nothing on my set up. I feel it is very nice for back road driving and still relatively quiet.

Good luck.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by super9064
    I've had a car with hard bushings, very annoying, stick to stock for the street, brand new stock bushings, compared to old worn bushings make quite a difference.
    The ERP bronze bushings are FAR superior to any other bushing out there for race or street use IMHO. I would give them a go...
    Michael

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar

Red face 1968 Suspension -- Fast Street

Thanks Rob and Michael. Appreciate your advice.

The 21/28 torsion bar rate is interesting; my initial prediction was close at 22/28 based upon local Porsche DE advice.

The Elephant Racing bushings had caught my eye but I wondered if the stock rubber wouldn't be best for street driving -- wouldn't the ERP bushings add a fair amount of noise transmission (of course, given how noisy/squeaky my bushings are now, I suppose that's an ironic thing to say...).

Mike, where did you get the raised spindle Bilsteins, please?

And what front-to-rear rake should I shoot for? O degrees? 3/4 degree? More?

Keep the comments & advice coming, please!

Thanks,
    Andy
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Andy, what's that other car in the pic???? Looks interesting.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by Nordschleife
    Thanks Rob and Michael. Appreciate your advice.

The 21/28 torsion bar rate is interesting; my initial prediction was close at 22/28 based upon local Porsche DE advice.

The Elephant Racing bushings had caught my eye but I wondered if the stock rubber wouldn't be best for street driving -- wouldn't the ERP bushings add a fair amount of noise transmission (of course, given how noisy/squeaky my bushings are now, I suppose that's an ironic thing to say...).

Mike, where did you get the raised spindle Bilsteins, please?

And what front-to-rear rake should I shoot for? O degrees? 3/4 degree? More?

Keep the comments & advice coming, please!

Thanks,
    Andy
    21/28 or 22/28...not sure there would be much real difference. If I had more weight up front with a larger tank I would possibly change.

I would not hesitate with the ERPs on a street car -- mine is. They are quiet, and actually give a better ride as the stiction is eliminated.

Can't remember where I had the Bilsteins done...there are many available sources.

Rake...hmmm...I set mine to be just at the top of the rear tire with 205/60 15s then set the front to same attitude. There is a slight positive rake though. Here is a photo...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael

Yes, there is much less friction with the PolyBronze. They are aligned better and have closer tolerances. The Polyurethane part is a shock-absorber just like the rubber but the steel/Bronze bearing makes for more accurate suspension movement.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I did a complete suspension upgrade using Elephant Racing's Street Track 1 polybronze set-up with larger T-bars, new struts and shocks, and a front sway on the 914. The original stock suspension was getting a little tired, but the transformation was nothing less than absolutely stunning. Where I was impressed with the 914's sure footedness before, it now carves corners like no car I have driven. Before, where I could respectively keep up with 996s and 997s in the twisties, (I did not say the straights) I am confident that I could now run circles around them, but just give me more power!!!

I was afraid that going to the polybronze would be jarring and sacrifice ride quality, but have been pleasantly surprised.

In case you are interested: http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...11packages.htm
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

i too recommend Elephant racing stuff.
    i have street track 2 on my car and love the set up.
    I have koni classic on my car, i found that it's a bit soft for track but it's nice for the street.
    I will switch to bilsteins when i can find a strut that take bilsteins insert.
    chuck is a great guy and very helpful.
    cheers
    tenn