Thread: Recaro Race/Sport seat questions

Recaro Race/Sport seat questions

Hopefully the seat experts out there will be able to help with the following, I have looked through numerous posts/books but have been unable to come up with a firm answer:

1. What was the first year of use for this type of fixed race bucket (the seat comes with headrest, just removed when photo taken)?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2. What was the first year of use for the adjustable seat with the external adjusters (again comes with headrest not shown in photo)?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

3. The '68/'69 sports seat (the ones where the for/aft adjuster emerges from out of the front of the base cushion on the right), were they handed? - I have only ever seen photos of ones where the back rest adjuster emerges from behind the hinge on the left hand side (as you sit on the seat)?

Would be very grateful for any info.

Thanks
    Tim

Ok....

Hester's bucket is not the same as the bucket that Bantam is showing. So, I have to answer your question twice... The first year with a headrest is as far as I have seen is model year 1967 (66 production), and that seat is similar to Hesters, but has a different bottom to the seat (feet vs no feet). Your seat is roughly 1969 as a guess, but I think several models were available from Recaro so Hesters seat and your seat could and probably did overlap in years.

To answer the 2nd question, I would say 1973, I haven't seen a 1972 (unless it's a proto) with that seat.

3rd question, the seats were never handed, the tip brackets became handed in 1968 from the factory, but the seats for the aftermarket were always with a drivers side release for the tip bracket.

flame away...but certainly willing to listen to opposing opinions (even though you're wrong)

Eric

bucket

Looking @ the bucket from Hester, the head rest is not correct. If the seat is early there would be no headrest with that "type" bucket. If it was a sport seat then it would be correct. Just looking @ the seat, it appears that the headrest is not compatable. The peanut shaped headrest would be period correct. OK....flame me..I need to talk to swbsam, tomorrow
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Curt,

You're wrong..... That bucket type did come with headrests.... The seat you're thinking of that came with the peanut style had a different shape to the front part of the "side bolsters" (for lack of a better term). They front sides of the seat are longer and flair more. Here's a pic of a seat that I own...same as the one in Hester...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gentlemen
    Thanks for your feedback.
    From what you have told me, plus the various other threads I have gone through (and you have contributed to), I think I need a bucket "with the feet" for the driver to be correct in a RHD '68 car with a re-trim of my tatty pre '69 sports seat for the passenger to match any bucket I find.
    Regards
    Tim

first year for headrests

Please correct...me... but I never saw any pre-68 seats with headrests. They were required by the good 'ol US DOT for 1968 production. That was when headrests started happening. I also saw a lot of '68 MY 911s with the headrests replaced by plugs as some people thought they interfered with their rear view vision and that was more important than your neck...... well, it was, wasn't it?
    John Rice

Quote Originally Posted by john rice
    Please correct...me... but I never saw any pre-68 seats with headrests. They were required by the good 'ol US DOT for 1968 production. That was when headrests started happening. I also saw a lot of '68 MY 911s with the headrests replaced by plugs as some people thought they interfered with their rear view vision and that was more important than your neck...... well, it was, wasn't it?
    John Rice
    John,
    There are provisions in the 67 sport seat (swbsam has taken them apart) for stab in headrests, and in the 67 parts book it shows the recaro "bucket" that has "feet" with an option for a headrest.

Other than that I agree with you, as I haven't seen any either, but I'll willing to bet they exist.

Eric