Thread: Help: Removing Stainless Trim, Targa Bar

Help: Removing Stainless Trim, Targa Bar

Targa folks,

To replace the broken rear window, I've got everything off, as covered in the factory manual, expect the stainless/chrome piece that covers the Targa Bar. I believe I have all the hardware off (under the bar, in rear fender wells and small screws hiding behind rubber seal at the front of the bar) but the stainless "cover" is still stuck and won't budge. I'm thinking it is the almost 40 year old two-sided tape that keeps the cover from rattling over the actual structural roll bar. Can anyone comment or otherwise help in removing this? Thanks.

-Allen-

Allen I too recently took my original 1971E apart and had a similar experience.

I found 2 small studs 6mm (8mm nuts I believe) on each side at the base of the bar where it meets the quarter panel.

Mine were completely covered by undercoating / tar from the factory which I had to scrape away before exposing the nuts.

It sounds like you did get those but I'm not sure.

However once these were removed the stainless trim was still very reluctant to move.

I found the factory had been very liberal in its use of the same tar material between the stainless trim and the lower inner hoop structure; effectively gluing them together.

A little carefully applied heat with my heat gun to the outside of the stainless trim where it meets the quarter panel softened it enough to allow it to be worked loose

Hope this helps.

It is just as Turboman says;

I was is this same situation; gentle prying; the heat should work well. I was not so lucky.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've removed the 4 nuts, two each side, that attach the cover to the body and also the little self-tapping screws at the front, under the seal. The heat sounds like a great idea. I'll do it and let you know how it goes.

-Allen-

Update: Success

I found you have to removed the leading edge seal on the stainless(cover) on the Targa bar to get to all the screws. I was happy with what I found: not a spot of rust on this car anywhere. Turned out, didn't really need any heat, just a tiny bit of light rocking and it came off like a charm. Thanks.
    -Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images