Thread: Barrett Smith's Pavement Burner

Barrett Smith's Pavement Burner

WOW. Check out the new Excellence (November 2008). Randy Wells photos and story insure that I will never challenge Barrett on a hill climb ever again!!! And once we were nearly sorta equal.

No doubt he'll be sited by the Idaho roadways folks for leaving ruts on the Bogus Basin mountain.
    Ed Barnett
    RGruppe #124
    Northern California Racing Club
    American Racing Club
    Member, Northwest Hillclimb Association

Thanks Ed!

Turbo blast indeed. Here's a couple of out takes:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Barrett Smith's Pavement Burner

Randy, since I can see that the front wheels are turned into the slide I can assume that is you driving!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, that's my photograph of Barrett driving. He can drive that beast sideways better than anyone (and he does it barefooted)!
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Sideways

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    He can drive that beast sideways better than anyone (and he does it barefooted)!
    Oh yes he can! First day of R Gruppe Treffen in Santa Rosa (2006?)
    A bunch of us left the Flamingo parking lot early that morn towards TRG, Kevin Bucklers shop, I was probably the fifth or sixth car in line with a little yellow 911 in my rear view. We all came to a stop on this two lane road to make a left turn across traffic. Well all the 911's in front of me were able to turn, but I got caught by traffic with 20 or so anxious 911's behind me waiting for traffic to clear. When just the smallest break of on coming traffic allowed, I darted across the lane to an uphill road in a hurry to catch up with the group. Just I had cleared I hear a horrendous screaching of tires behind me. My instant thought, as I looked up in my rear view, Oh no that yellow 911behind me turned in front of the oncoming traffic! Well, in my rear view I see the yellow 911 nearly glued to my ass inches from my rear bumper, SIDEWAYS, the driver grinning at me ear to ear through his passenger window, with smoke boiling from the rear tires!
    Initially scared the hell out of me! I laughed all the way to Bucklers. That car and its pilot are awesome!
    S. SCOTT STAMPER
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Early S #799
    R Gruppe #447
    72 911 T 3.0
    73 911 3.0 Turbo
    74 BMW 2002 TI
    79 930
    84 911 Turbo
    87 911 Carrera Coupe
    87 911 Turbo Coupe
    94 911 Turbo 3.6
    17 991.2 Turbo
    18 991.2 GT3

hot rods

I liked that car alot...and his unique ideas to what he thinks a hot rod should be.....

Ive never seen a turbo in an early car.....

and now I hear he can drive to boot!

....well done Randy......

can you e me a couple of pics?...for my desk top......? interior as well?...

grazi

jrk@jrkchiropractic.com

Great article about a great car & driver.

Nice work Randy! The photos are awesome, especially the wheel detail (in motion). You are hitting your stride with this sort of thing!

BA
    Brad Anderson
    911 1970 einspritzung Karmann coupe 0012

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles