Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911S Question

911S Question

Newbie here so excuse the basic question. Been a 356and 912 man so far but early 911s of course are the ultimate

I came across this car which look interesting but I don't know much about the 911s. Here is what the vendor is saying about it. Its a '66 with a Le Mans body kit. It was raced in Germany in Berlin race in 1967. Then in Nurenberg and possibly Florina Targa but no paper to prove it. The car was thne imported in the US and the engine reconditioned with Weber 40IDS fitted.
    It hasn't been started for at least a year and now needs floors and suspension pan replaced as well as painting.
    The vin is a late 1966, and has the "S" stamped next to the number. The engine number isn't any of the standard production numbers for the models produced bwtween 1964 and 1969, he believes it is a factory rally engine number, as it ties in with the limited run of 911R numbers and the limited run of 911ST numbers. The block is a 911 2.0 litre "S" number
    The Webers are IDS, the steering wheel is a 911S registered 1966 number, and the plates which cover the spark plugs are also 1966 911S numbers
    I do not have the vin nor the engine numbers yet. I asked for them

Does the above make sense to any of you 911s experts out there? What sort of price range would be a fair price for this car?

Restoration newbie.
    Here's the link, I realise you may be hoping to keep this under the radar but
    it's on eBay so it's out there already.

Observations about this car:

a. the most conspicuous by it's omission is *ANY* mention of the actual numbers,
    almost enough to call bull**** by itself.

b. claims that it's a rally kit car, mixed in with some sport kit options,
    but there's no breather bottle in the engine bay so either it's been
    removed or it's a plain rally kit car, if at all.

c. chain tensioners have been upgraded to oil fed type.

d. Nice 5 blade fan, not.

e. Rally kit car should have a dead pedal, hard to tell if it's there.

f. seller doesn't seem to have a clue about many of the aspects of
    the car, I wonder what things they got wrong?

g. EarlyS registry badge on the grill, someone must know this car.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My first 911 was a 1966, and it had an "S" after the chassis no. on the aluminum plate on the front latch panel, but it was not an S, as far as I know.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Wink Telling contradictions......

At the Techno Classica in Essen, I asked a well-known Porsche dealer if the 911S he was offering for sale had a matching-number engine: he replied "don't know I haven't checked" which I immediately understood as "no it doesn't". Why? simply because it is the first thing you check when selling a 911 simply because it sells for more money! (And I think a dealer knows that).
    Why sell a 911 without checking its history first? I think it ran at the Targa Florio, which could double the car's value or more, but I can't bother checking?

I find such contradictions very revealing....

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Yes, I am calling bluff here too.

Apart from all the other observations so far... The front fenders have been applied later than 1974 which would discount all the implied racing history. The reason I say this is that they are not pre-73 fender flares. They are later ones which someone did not know to make a spacer plate up near the turn signal box...instead, they simply mounted the fender too far down to account for that difference.

5 bladed fan, Carrera tensioners, FAKE fuchs...this whole car is a fake! Love all the gold plated bits
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I'll call B.S.

On top of all the other B.S. in the ad............the tiltle says it all....

"American Hotrod" Whoa!
    911S registry #1103
    R-Gruppe #513
    1967 912 converted to 2.2
    Period Dune Buggy

Some drive Porsches' to be seen.....
    I prefer it when nobodys looking.

Thanks all. I asked him for the vin and engine #s two days ago, no response

Restoration newbie.
    This POS has been listed again here

Now there's a chassis number 304476 which confirms this is not an S, 1967 model
    year cars started with 305100.

The engine number is there also 6290396 which seems to be a 69 E engine.

So what we have is a 1966 model year and production year car with the wrong
    engine and some bling flares and rust.

Run away. Fast.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, strange. last time it was supposed to have sold for $26,600 so why is it relisted? Dodgy with a big D

It's got be worth something...it has an S Registry badge!

SOLD for AU $13,600.00 on 15-DEC-08

Ad text:

"Listed once again due to tyre kickers.

This time, we will not be ending the auction early on a promise. If you want the car, BID!!!

1966 911 Rally 'S' spec engine with IDS 40mm webers with updated tensioners.

Engine casing number type 901/02 number 6290396.

911S brakes

Gearbox is a 1966 5 speed.

Steering wheel, speedo, and tacho are 1966 'S'

Alloy wheels - ST 15 x 7, and 15 x 8, factory numbered.

Body is Porsche Factory Rally 4 kit, which I believe was installed in the early 1970's.

Half of the floorpan has been replaced with new factory panels, and requires the rear section to be installed. This area has been cut out and is ready for installation.

The interior requires the driver's and passenger seats, as well as the door arm pulls, apart from these the interior is complete.

The exterior of the car requires a little bit of panelling and a complete paint job. I have a quote for this from a reputable paint and panel shop for $3000.00.

The engine requires flushing, new weber seals, pulley belts, tuning etc. Approx value $2000.00.

This car is not a $500.00 quick fix and flick, so please do not bid if that is what you are after.

Legally, this car has a clear title which states it is a 1966 911S. When you come to register the car, it will be legally registered as a 1966 911S. For the purist you can buy the early S engines on ebay.

This car was raced in 1967 Around Berlin Rally, it was also raced at Nurenburg, and the German number plate is OB TH 1.

As a 1966 911 the value would be $40,000.00 odd.

As a 1966 911 Rally S Spec, the value would be $80,000.00

As a 1966 911S the value would be $150,000.00.

And with research to find the racing history the car would have a value of $200K.

All the above figure are estimates upon completion."
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100