Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Introductions

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I figure I should probably spend some more time here (hah, as if I need yet ANOTHER distraction from work!) so I registered. I recognize a lot of familiar usernames from Pelican where I spend way too much time (and money). I read through some of the "join in" sticky about why some people don't post here, and I have to admit I've been hesitant because I don't have an S, just a "lowly" T. I wish I could afford an S!

A bit about me and my car, the old girl is a 1972 T 4-speed with RS flares and ducktail (flares and bad paint job by PO, ducktail is my addition), lowered, original 2.4 engine with Zenith carburetors (ROW, originally delivered in Europe, imported into Canada around 1983, complete with a 10 pfennig coin in the ashtray that's still there!) with several S-options (S spoiler, S front calipers, Recaro sport driver's seat). I bought the car in 2004 at the age of 29, my first ever Porsche, and my dream car since I was a little kid - well, close - my actual dream car was (and I guess still is, sorta) a black 3.2 turbo cabrio with natural leather interior. But since I bought it longhoods have become near and dear to my heart.

I drive the old girl as she was meant to be driven - she's no stranger to the redline and sees as many track days a year as I can get time for, mostly at Mosport, but also a few smaller local tracks as well. She's not the fastest, but she's the most fun! I also spend a fair amount of time at Mosport in my dad's 996 turbo which is unreal fun, but my 911 is actually still more fun. But it's also my daily driver and gets driven anywhere I have to go, so long as it's long enough to get the car properly warmed up. Oh yeah, and there's a child seat in the back for my 2-year old daughter, who loves saying "paw-sha"

When I bought it I knew absolutely nothing about cars, which is why I wanted an early car, which is more simple to work on. Since then I've done all the regular stuff, plus replaced the shocks with Bilsteins, rebuilt the carbs, rebuild the transmission, replaced the clutch and replaced all the ingition components. I'm currently chasing down some oil leaks and the tranny will come back out this winter because it's still leaking a bit. I've also been working on a persistent horsepower drain when the car gets hot, mostly at the track - feels like it's running on only 4 cylinders or something and it stumbles, this all at high rpms after maybe 5 or 6 laps. That's why I rebuilt the carbs and replaced all the ignition components (MSD CD/coil, new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, points, redid timing) so now I'm starting to look at fuel delivery.

Ok, enough with the yakity-yak, here's what you all want, pics!

photo credit: www.scarfonephoto.com
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)

What a lovely car. Welcome aboard. If you feel awkward because you don't have an S, imagine how I feel. I have a 1978 911SC backdated to look like an early car. I'm doomed to feel inferior on this board but the people here are great, I've learned a ton and I really enjoy it. So, what the heck.
    Have fun,
    Mark
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Welcome Christien-
    Nothing lowly about that "T"! Just knowing that it's on the road and getting
    thrashed once in a while is good enough. Mosport, no less! Nice! Mike
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065

Restoration newbie.
    Welcome, nice car. The 911 script on the ducktail is a nice touch.
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Christien,

Lowly my asprin! Your car is beautiful! I ordinarily do not care for red, but yours is stunning. Welcome to the board.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Welcome Christien! Nice car.

Glad you drive it as intended.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Hey all, thanks for the words of welcome! I guess I came off sound a bit sheepish about my car - I'm really not, but I do appreciate the difference between the T and the S. In fact, my only ride in an S so far was at Mosport, and it was a race-prepped S. Mosport is a fast track, and I've been around it in GT3s, a Ferrari 355 challenge (factory racecar), 930s, Acura NSX, all sorts of stripped out SCs and Carreras, but NOTHING has compared to the ride I had in the 67 S. Of course, it helped that the driver was phenomenal and knew the car inside out.

Anyway, she's an absolute blast and my only regret is that I live in a climate where I have to put her away for 5 or 6 months of the year. I drive her right up until the salt trucks come out, and she comes out to play after the first major rainstorm - no time wasted! In fact, I'm just dealing with the small transmission oil/engine oil leaks for now because I refuse to give up any of the remaining driving days this season!

Cheers.
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)

Great looking 911T !

I've got a soft spot for your Porsche - looks almost exactly like my ol' 1972 911T... [~sheepish grin ~] that I don't even own anymore.

At first I too was really hesitant about posting to the forum, mainly because I don't even own a 911 anymore. That hasn't seemed to stop me yet... now the closest car I own that has any Porsche blood in it, is my '91 Westfalia that thinks it's a Porsche. At least it is has a boxer engine in the rear, Porsche rims and 911 steering wheel!

I like to try and make posts here that can count as a *contribution* to the early911sregistry forum community. So far, I've been batting ok and caused quite the stir with my 1973 Porsche Parade fotos of the early Carrera RS prototype and a pre-'69 Monte Rallye pic of John Buffum. I have only a few more photos to contribute and then I'm all dried up... I've been around Porsche's since the early 70's and just can't shake them from my heart. My suggestion, keep posting away with more stellar photos and stories of your 911T!

Hay Christien,
    Saturday, Oct 18th, 8:45 a.m., meet us all at Tim Hortons in Hamilton at the top of the escarpment (corner of Centennial Pkwy and Mud St). A bunch of early 911's and 356's are gonna do a tour of Niagara Peninsula. I realize this is short notice, but I'm sure we'd all love to see ya show up with it.
    call me if you can make it: 905 651 2995
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Hi Paul. I just got the email from Andreas last night - see you in the morning!

Just remember what I mentioned above:

I'm currently chasing down some oil leaks and the tranny will come back out this winter because it's still leaking a bit.
    If you're driving behind me it can get a bit stinky as the oil burns on the heat exchangers...
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)