Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 enterprises steering wheel ad

Formula 1 enterprises steering wheel ad

I found this cool ad in a Road & Track from 1967. I know there are several members who have examples of this steering wheel. I have a wheel very similar but mine is made by MOMO, has thumb pads and I'm fairly certain mine is from the around the same time... the mid to late 1960s. I'm sure Formula One enterprises Inc. is long gone as a company. It appears they used Momo as manufacturer of the wheels they sold. For the folks who have one of these wheels, what are the stampings on the back? Anyway, I though a few of you would find this interesting.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 10-18-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Hi Mark,

I have one of those wheels exactly as shown in the add. No thumb spats, has the horizontal spokes, not the angled or as I think of it, "Prototipo" spokes like your wheel. My wheel has the same MOMO stamping as yours but, higher up the spoke.

cheers,
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I have the same wheel as well. Mine does not have a MOMO stamp in it though.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    The wheel in the add looks exactly like my Momo Elite.
    Without the circled 1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

John

That Elite of yours is one elegant monster. 380mm no doubt. You got that from our old friend George K, no? I have a silver 360mm elite that I love.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marksgtv View Post
    That Elite of yours is one elegant monster. 380mm no doubt. You got that from our old friend George K, no? I have a silver 360mm elite that I love.
    Yes it's one of George K's, and it's spec-tacular.

(and it is 380)

Best

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar
    Hi Mark,

I have a steering wheel very similar to yours, in 360mm diameter and with doubled white thread stitching, two holes on the upper spokes (with thumb pads same as yours) and three holes on the lower spoke. It has the circled number 1 on one side at the base of the third spoke too.

The difference beween yours and mine is the flip side. Mine has the word "MOMO" but it's stamped in a funny way, with one "MO" sitting atop the other "MO", like this:

MO
    MO

I can take some photos tomorrow to pass along perhaps.

Great steering wheel, I had it on our '68 for a time, but I just HAD to use the old Les Leston steering wheel -- more period correct to me. The MOMO seemed more 1970/71/72/73-ish. I'm probably wrong about that though... who knows?

Anyway, hopefully we'll get a few more to chime in.

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Mark

What can you tell me about this wheel

Raj
    'H' ola to you too Raj:
    I think you should mount it in the R and sell me your Monza
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 10-18-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Quote Originally Posted by Nordschleife View Post
    Hi Mark,

I have a steering wheel very similar to yours, in 360mm diameter and with doubled white thread stitching, two holes on the upper spokes (with thumb pads same as yours) and three holes on the lower spoke. It has the circled number 1 on one side at the base of the third spoke too.

The difference beween yours and mine is the flip side. Mine has the word "MOMO" but it's stamped in a funny way, with one "MO" sitting atop the other "MO", like this:

MO
    MO

I can take some photos tomorrow to pass along perhaps.

Great steering wheel, I had it on our '68 for a time, but I just HAD to use the old Les Leston steering wheel -- more period correct to me. The MOMO seemed more 1970/71/72/73-ish. I'm probably wrong about that though... who knows?

Anyway, hopefully we'll get a few more to chime in.

Best Regards,
    Andy
    Hey Andy. Sounds interesting. Would love to see the wheel. I have several MOMOs with the logo configuration you speak of. I'm not sure which period MOMO did this. I've seen at least 5 different logo configurations. I don't have any, but I personally love Les Leston wheels. I haven't seen them on many Porsches, but, I don't see why not. Thanks for posting.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Not the same but very similar on EBay now item # 140285504633

Yes it's mine, at least until the auction ends.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787