Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to check if not a vin swap?

How to check if not a vin swap?

Over the last months we have seen restoration projects been sold for some say silly prices: Restoration would only be economical if done in own spare time or if vin numbers would be swapped to a sound donor 912.

No doubt this has been done already and I am wondering if anybody can tell me how to check when coming accross a restored 67 911(s). Were panels stamped with a number leading back to the original vin? If so how and can someone post a picture as example? Are there other tell tales to look for?

thx

Wiebe
    Turf
    10/66 911S coupe
    87 911 Carrera Convertible

Yes some panels have the 3 last digits stamped into them, like doors. I am not 100% sure when it comes to the 67 model. You can also look at the production number under the right knee guard. Search at this forum for "production number" and also the stamped VIN on parts question. Maybe someone else can confirm?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Quote Originally Posted by turfclubroad View Post
    Over the last months we have seen restoration projects been sold for some say silly prices: Restoration would only be economical if done in own spare time or if vin numbers would be swapped to a sound donor 912.

No doubt this has been done already and I am wondering if anybody can tell me how to check when coming accross a restored 67 911(s). Were panels stamped with a number leading back to the original vin? If so how and can someone post a picture as example? Are there other tell tales to look for?

thx

Wiebe
    If you want to tell whether a 912 body was used as donor you should actually not focus on the 3 digit stamped too much (those can be filled w/ led and restamped, it's done ..) but you should pay attention to body tells which are not easy to change. FYI I have never restored a car newer than 66 but for 65/66 are there differences between the 911 and 912 body. Small things that you learn once you restore a car and look for donor parts.

Just my $.02

Richard

So, sofar the following ways to identify:
    - numbers stamped in parts (wings in headlight buckets?, how about doors and both lids): Q: only in removable parts like wings, doors and lids?
    - production number: but that does not have to tally with the vin I have read in some threads except for 65 and 66: how about 67?
    - differences between 911 and 912 shells: Would that have to do with who built them (Karmann vs Porsche?), I am actually not sure if Karmann built shells for Porsche for 911s's: They did for the 912's though (all of them right?)... :Q what would be the differences between a Karmann and Porsche shell?

thx

Wiebe
    Turf
    10/66 911S coupe

Restoration newbie.
    On a 67 the production number is the same as the chassis number and is written
    on underneath the top dash pad. The production date may also be there. The
    final three digits of the chassis number will be stamped in the middle rib of the
    decklid behind the grill. It should also be in the headlight buckets and on the
    doors behind the trim.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Andy, do you have pictures to share?

thx

Wiebe
    Turf
    10/66 911S coupe

Aaron is correct on all points. These photos give you an idea of the engine lid location. The one photo was the best I could do at the time.
    The number on the dash of a '67 is the same as the chassis.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I would strip the paint off of the area around the stamped number above the fuel tank. Short of removing and replacing that entire piece (which wouldn't be easy) the only way to change the number would be to cut out the number, or weld a different one over the top. In both cases this would be obvious if all of the paint and undercoating were stripped.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv View Post
    I would strip the paint off of the area around the stamped number above the fuel tank. Short of removing and replacing that entire piece (which wouldn't be easy) the only way to change the number would be to cut out the number, or weld a different one over the top. In both cases this would be obvious if all of the paint and undercoating were stripped.

I've seen the entire piece replaced up there, and it was unreal how well this person did it. It was done on a 912 to 912 swap. I'm not sure why the guy went through all the trouble... I think it was more of a situation that he wanted to see if he could actually do it and if anyone would notice. I couldn't tell, and I had 2 cars side by side to see it.....

buyer beware out there!

e

thx for all the clear input. The number on the dash, with what was that written? If that is a wax pen it could easily be removed in a restoration...

And how about the differences between 67 911s and 912 bodies which was mentioned earlier?

thx

Wiebe
    Turf
    10/66 911S coupe