Thread: How to reckognise swt roll bar vs glass window roll bar on 67 targa

How to reckognise swt roll bar vs glass window roll bar on 67 targa

How can I reckognise a soft window targa hoop vs a glass window targa hoop on a 67? If a soft window was originally fitted and a glas window fitted afterwards withous changing the hoop, what would be the tell tale signs?

thx

Wiebe
    Turf
    10/66 911S coupe
    87 911 Carrera Convertible

The most visible would be two openings in the Targa bar padding for access to the SWT tensioning handles.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

The targa roll bar stainless cover didn't change from soft window to hard window.

However, the trim at the base of the roll bar "did" change, and I've yet to see a conversion car with the hard window trim used in place of the original soft window trim.

So, at the base of an original soft window car, there is a small short piece of chrome that is the width of the targa bar. On a hard window car, the chrome piece is much longer, it's one piece, and it runs from the base of the targa bar back about half way around the base of the targa window.

That's the most obvious way for me to tell an original soft window car, and I used that telltale to buy a nice 68 912 targa that was originally a softie.

regards,
    Eric

BTW I have NOS soft window inner head liners like shown in the pic above.

regards,
    Eric