Thread: Performance numbers inquiry

Performance numbers inquiry

Does anyone know what the lateral G capability is on the 60's era Porsches, preferrably the 1969 911S? I know they were one of the best cornering cars of the era, but I can't find any data on it. The earliest 911 data I can find regarding the 911 is a Road and Track 1985 issue which shows a a lateral G of .84 G's. I was surprised to see that it was that low in the day. You get spoiled seeing Enzo's and GT3's pulling .98 to a little over 1G today.
    With as stiff as the car is, I'm hoping it does a little better than .84 G's. If I'm going to become the goo in the seat with chicklets for teeth, I want it to count for something

What year are you looking for?

Fere says in Porsche 911 Story: the entire development history 7th edition:

SWB 911S .785 lateral g

LWB cars:

911T .810 lateral g
    911E .826 lateral g
    911S .897 lateral g

911 Carrera RS 2,7 .912 lateral g

short hood cars:

911S .882 lateral g
    911 Carrera .882 lateral g

930 Turbo 3.0 .912 lateral g (on Pirelli tires)

911SC .877 lateral g

930 Turbo 3.3 .949 lateral g
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Keep in mind the tire width and compounds available when our cars were new....with todays rubber and guys running 7r wheels.........lets just say
    "your numbers will vary"

Dave
    911S registry #1103
    R-Gruppe #513
    1967 912 converted to 2.2
    Period Dune Buggy

Some drive Porsches' to be seen.....
    I prefer it when nobodys looking.

Thank you Dave and Max. I will look at the sources. It looks like .89G's is what you state on you data. I'm off to Borders to look for the book, I'm not familiar with that one. Again, thank you Max.
    Mine is a 69 911S, which is what I'm interested in. It's stock, with Koni Red shocks and stock sway bars. I am running 195 V rated Bridgestone Potenza's on the stock 15" fuchs instead of the original Michelin's, not sure if that will make much difference. Computer at Tire Rack said there was a 2% variance to the original. Those Michelin tires are impossible to get anyways, you have to special order out of the UK. The Riken's in that size are garbage as well, they act like hockey pucks on ice when push comes to shove in the turns.

I would say .83 lateral g would be a ball-park skid pad performance number.

The numbers from Fere's book surprised me. That is pretty high performance for the day.

Fere noted that on the 2,0 SWB and LWB early cars, up to the 1969 I think, were not much affected by the sway bar setup. The 911S with relatively stiff front and rear bars was ahead of the softer 911E but the 911T was pretty close to the 911E.

Sadly, the great Paul Fere is no longer with us. His technical writings are a gift of knowledge to future generations of Porsche mechanics and enthusiasts.

Porsche 911 Story made it to the 8th edition and has a 997 on the cover if you are looking for it. It is a great read.

Here is the 7th edition (up through 996, including early GT3) which is what I have: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...kpcof_pg13.htm

All the Best,

Max

Thanks for the book cover. Helps with what to look for. Yeah, the loss of Paul Frere is a tragedy, like Phil Hill a couple of months ago. Those guys were incredible at what they did. A changing of the guard for R&T. We still have Peter Egan and his stories though.
    I appreciate your input Max. I bet that GT3 is a blast to drive. Is it a 996 or 997? I heard the 996 is a really stiff chassis and a stellar performer. I drove my buddies 997 S model before he traded it in on a C6 Z06 Vette. Creatin

D'oh

I meant I have the 7th edition of the book. Sorry for being unclear.

I have never driven a GT3, just my hot rod early 911S. See my signature for details.

I agree the GT3s look fun, though there is nothing like an early car for character.

I agree with you in that statement. Something pure about an old Porsche. That 997 was fast, precise, and authoritative. It was sterile though, not a lot of personality. Almost felt like I was playing GT4 instead of really driving.
    Appreciate your help.
    Scott