Thread: What's my car worth?

What's my car worth?

It seems this forum really monitors the market for early 911s a lot. I'd like to pick the collective brain for a ballpark value of my car, not to sell, but because I think I might be due for an appraisal update for my insurance. I have a guaranteed-value policy that pays out the agreed value under theft or write-off, but no more.

Here are the details:
    -1972 911T, Euro (ROW) with S options: front spoiler (steel, factory), S front brakes
    -153,000 km
    -RS flares (rear only), steel, done by PO, probably in last 10 years, good job
    -Zenith carburetors (factory), recently rebuilt by me
    -4-speed 915, rebuilt last winter
    -new Bilstein sport shocks front/rear 2 years ago
    -MSD CD/coil, all ignition components replaced in the last year
    -5 or 10 foot paint job, cheap Maaco job (PO, not me!), overspray in several places, rock chips in hood go to bare metal, I've touched them up with touch up paint to prevent rust
    -MA Shaw ducktail, I have original decklid, but would have to be repainted to be used - PO cut holes for 80s turbo tail
    -Non-structural rust in suspension pan, no other rust anywhere
    -7/8x15 fuchs from SC or Carrera
    -interior is tired but presentable, standard crack in dash
    -Recaro sport driver's chair, standard passenger seat, both partial leather, driver's needs reupholstering, 4" chunk in left bolster, a few other tears.
    -all gauges work except clock, speedo recently rebuilt by North Hollywood

Car drives very well, pulls quite strong, but I need to tune the aux jets or something in the carbs - transition from idle to accelerate is rough, though once fully on acceleration it pulls very strong.

Engine/tranny are leaking a fair bit - when I pulled them last winter to rebuild the tranny I obviously didn't seal things up well putting them back in, so they'll come back out this winter.

Regular maintenance has been meticulous, as I do take the car to the track. Brake pads, fluid, oil changes, tranny oil changes, etc. are all done well ahead of recommended intervals (usually several brake fluid flushes per year).

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has on values. Last appraisal was 2005, before the market for these cars started going up, but also before this month's financial woes. I'll be happy to share my appraisal value, but later, so as not to colour any opinions.

Thanks!
    Chris
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)

Pics of the interior and rust:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)

value

Hi Chris

Just my 2 cents (I hope not to offend you): max 10k, pretty worn interior and bad rust.

Any other opinions?

Cheers,
    Mike
    Mike, member #841

What's my car worth?

With that front pan rust I would not be tracking that car! Actually I wouldn't even be driving it. I know you're proud of the car, but that is asking for a sudden departure of the front control arm mounting! Remember, rust is like the iceberg that got the Titanic, there's more than what you're seeing.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

On open market- alot of competition, ie world- ...........unfortunately ...not alot $ 9-13k.

Maybe somone sees it at the grocery store.. ..wants it....and you get $15k.

For what its worth
    peace, love, and happy-S

Hey all, no worries about insulting my car - I'm realistic about where it's at.

Ed, to allay concerns, it's passed PCA DE tech inspection several times with that rust, so maybe it looks worse from the inside than from the bottom. 2 shops (both very reputable) so far have passed it, so I'm not overly concerned there (though do plan on fixing it - it's on my list!).

My appraisal and insurance right now is at $13,200. Cars in Canada tend to be a bit more expensive (for Canadian buyers), so factor maybe an extra 10% above US values, and most of the numbers you guys were throwing out there are in line with my appraisal/insurance. Therefore, I won't bother updating it for now. I'll wait until I get the rust repaired, interior sorted and the engine/tranny leaks fixed.

Thanks!
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)