Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage stopwatches and rally stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    A basic offering ... over the years I tried to find bits that were nice but less expensive than what you frequently see ... I think I did alright.
    Nice bits Mark! Just think of how many of those that one could fit under say....a bed. 8>)
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    Lovely design. I NEED one of these. NEED.
    Hi Mark, did you see this? You missed it... Great price!

20140413 Heuer Super Autavia eBay BIN ,895 I WON1.jpg

a close-up pix...

SAMPLE - HEUER Super Autavia Timer.jpg

Here is a 'newer' version, but may be asking too much at $4,300 OBO, IMHO...

SAMPLE - HEUER Super Autavia Timer LATE Newer.jpg

Mark, can you send me the link to "Auto World Catalogs"? Evidently I'm too stupid to own a computer, can't find it... : (

Here is another post as a contribution to this thread. My Heuer OEM NOS quad-plate (repros were made)
    populated with a Heuer factory matched-set of Abercrombie & Fitch timers, plus the Super Autavia.
    All pieces are in remarkable condition.

I know for a fact this particular Heuer timer configuration doesn't show up anywhere in photos and are very, very rare.

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00375b.jpg

DSC00374b.jpg

DSC00371b.jpg

DSC00372b.jpg

Possibly the Holy Grail of Heuer Rally Timers on a quad NOT FOR SALE!

The rest of the photos here

Wow, speechless at that quad set. A genuine thing of beauty! I have a major weak spot for collecting Heuers, but being a University undergrad of 21 I cant quite afford anything like that yet! What I do have are these, which my Dad had made in the 60's (this set has been potentially sold but I have others)

And a few that Ive bought myself:

A nice Monte Carlo (currently being serviced)

P1010561 by victorkristiansen, on Flickr

P1010560 by victorkristiansen, on Flickr

And an equally nice Mastertime

P1010509 by victorkristiansen, on Flickr

Touching bezels

I'm not sure if the SuperAutavia was factory fitted to that quad-plate.

I say this as I have a triple plate set and I have found that the SuperAutavia is actually slightly wider in diameter than the other timers, and when mounted, the bezels of each cannot be operated as they touch each other. See the quad set pics and note the gaps between the bezels of the Mastertime/Monte/Auto-Rally, and compare these with the (touching) Super-Autavia and the Master-Time. Same for twin mounts, too.

I can't image Heuer mounting these with bezels touching; happy to be wrong of course.......it's only a matter of a mm or two, and I'd imagine Heuer would have a specific mount plate to house the wider bezel of the S-A should it be mounted with another timer.
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

901 mount

I had a custom mount made up that I designed which slots into the original radio knob holes of the dashboard; I just unbolt the original Blaupunkt and screw in the bracket to house the timers. A neat, changeable solution. Cheers

SK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

From what I have read the SuperAutavia wasn't that popular for rallying as it didn't have the easiest to read.

I didn't know quads existed.

That's what I have read.

The SuperAutavia sure looks great though. Best looking.
    Last edited by rower; 06-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st View Post

I say this as I have a triple plate set and I have found that the SuperAutavia is actually slightly wider in diameter than the other timers, and when mounted, the bezels of each cannot be operated as they touch each other. See the quad set pics and note the gaps between the bezels of the Mastertime/Monte/Auto-Rally, and compare these with the (touching) Super-Autavia and the Master-Time. Same for twin mounts, too.

I can't image Heuer mounting these with bezels touching; happy to be wrong of course.......it's only a matter of a mm or two, and I'd imagine Heuer would have a specific mount plate to house the wider bezel of the S-A should it be mounted with another timer.
    Clarification of my post.

"I" populated the Heuer quad plate with the Super Autavia and the Abercrombie triple matched set which was in the Heuer triple-plate I still have. The reason I posted the photos of the quad is to show at a minimum, a factory Heuer matched set of Abercrombie timers along side the Super Auctavia. I could also remove the Super Autavia and use yet one more 3-button Monte Carlo rally timer which would be more 'practical' to have in a quad mount configuration.

I have yet to see a factory Heuer Quad mounting plate with four Heuer factory matched timers, all originals within the same set. Most Heuer OEM quad-plates you see posted anywhere on the internet are in most cases, all "end-user selected" rally timers. I suppose back in the day anyone could easily custom-order any Heuer timer combination mounted on the available Heuer double, triple and quad mounting plates.

Below is a photo of my factory Heuer triple set (now mounted on the quad)...

Heuer Monte Carlo A&F 3B 1Triple 1Quad Mount Plate OEM ,500 - Photo 02.jpg

...and the quad plate by itself.

Heuer Monte Carlo A&F 3B 1Triple 1Quad Mount Plate OEM ,500 - Photo 03.jpg

No, the Heuer triple plate is not for sale either, it belongs to the Abercrombie triple-set...

Below is a YouTube video of a 'similar' Heuer triple-set (as only two of the three rally timers are Abercrombie & Fitch). Currently for-sale on eBay (with no affiliation)

<IFRAME height=720 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SODUGVYJ8lk?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=1280 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 06-01-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I didn't know quads existed.
    DSC00372b.jpg

DSC00373c.jpg

I realize the photos are a bit hard to see.

DSC00373c1.jpg

Yes, Heuer made the quad plates, but not as practical as the triples.

Someone duplicated the quad plate, not sure who, but they do pop-up every once in a while. Personally, I only collect the real deal, not reproductions.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st View Post

Funny you mentioned the bezel spacing issue. Check your triple plate, should be perfectly straight. Facing-up, lay it flat on a piece of glass, hold down either the left or the right edge, the opposite end should NOT move up or lift away from the resting surface. If it does, your plate is not straight and will further aggravate what you described.

BTW, my quad plate was not perfectly straight; it had to straighten it a bit...