Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RGruppe......

RGruppe......

Hi,

Don't take this wrong, it's NOT meant to be an insult...but I keep on hearing about an "RGruppe look"

RGruppe is not an adjective. RGruppe cars are meant to be unique...it's your expression. RGruppe cars can have all original brightwork, but tweaked mechanically and seat options. RGruppe cars can be RS look and stock mechanicals. RGruppe cars can be like Rolly's Rally car, or Ray's Black hotrod. Those 2 cars are almost at opposite ends of the spectrum.

And for that matter... it's not about RGruppe at all....that's just a "club".

You want to change from stock?

Do what "you" want to do with a car... be creative, get some old books, some old Christo's. Do you want a vintage race look? A cleaned up no chrome look? Change an interior color. It's a blank slate, make it what you want. The exterior is a blank slate....

On a separate note ... getting away from the car... the RGruppe is meant to be more about the owner, and checking your attitude at the door.. or letting it show in what the car is all about.

Sorry if this sounded like a rant, (guess it turned into one), but there is no "RGruppe car" look....

Flame away... I was prompted by a recent conversation with a friend, and then also a recent post.

And no, I haven't started drinking, (it's not time yet).

Warning: This post may be deleted if I choose... so save the thread if it starts to get "exciting".

Eric

Back when John Gray and I were getting RG shirts made for the club, I actually submitted a design which was meant to be funny. It was the word "R Gruppe" as it would appear in the dictionary used as an adjective..or verb, I forget.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Interesting, having a name turned into and adjective or a verb could be a form of flattery.

It can be acknowledgement that the attitude that these cars display (not their owners) has captured something special.

I do agree that when you walk around Treffen, you see all manner of cars. Each one is an expression of the owners creativity. Some are subtle and some are outrageous. Alan's R Targa to Paul's Mad Cow. No way those to are even on the same planet.

So, other than this being a meandering ramble (I have started with some adult beverage), I guess my point is that "an R Gruppe car" describes nothing other than that the car has attitude. It is a reflection of the owner and no one but the builder of a car can instill that attitude. If you try to copy without having your own vision it will show.

Build what you want for you, not to try to meet some nonexistent template.

Oh well, time for a refill.

I [did] what I want[ed] to do with [my] car....

then I found myself in rgruppe.

I think there is an rgruppe look -- you just have to deeper - under the car; inside the engine compartment; inside the engine...

I agree, unless you are a R Gruppe member, its not an R Gruppe car. I can be super cool hot rod, that we all lust after, but unless you are a member you really should not refer to is R Gruppe.

How would the Girl scouts feel if we sold knock off cookies
    Rob Abbott

When you create something cool that others desire, the noun becomes an adjective. There is no known way to stop this type of adjectivism.
    Brad Larson
    67 Soft Window S - Polo Red
    00 Boxster S - Speed Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post

How would the Girl scouts feel if we sold knock off cookies
    Eric,
    Sorry I also do not mean to offened also but it does sound like a rant... an old rant. It should be considered as flattery not as offense.

I have heard of cookies that taste "just like Girl Scout thin mints"

Luke
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I made this very point in a thread not long ago. I was asked what other club presented so many 911 hotrods. 'Early S of course' was my reply.

The cars define the club; not the reverse.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

There came a time when paper tissue all started being called Kleenex, a time when all bandages started being called "Band-Aid". This is not a choice of the owners and creators of the entity, but the choice of the culture that chooses to call a thing by a new default name.

As we are all caretakers of our cars, RGruppe members are the wards of the RGruppe name and purpose. That said, we cannot stop the use of the name in reference to hot rod cars any more than we can stop calling Kirkland brand nose tissue Kleenex. We can only ensure that we as RGruppe members represent the RGruppe best we can.

Flame on.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    There came a time when paper tissue all started being called Kleenex, a time when all bandages started being called "Band-Aid". This is not a choice of the owners and creators of the entity, but the choice of the culture that chooses to call a thing by a new default name.
    Agreed.

With the club's early focus on "Sports Purpose" modifications, I see the "RGruppe" reference as a natural progression of the term. I'm sure that is what the other poster had in mind when he stated it that way.

Fame has it's drawbacks

What is an RGruppe car?
    Following the guidelines from what the factory did in the 1960's through early 1970's to transform their stock road cars into performance cars, an RGruppe 911 starts with a clean early car and modifies it.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586