Thread: saving original engine bay stickers

saving original engine bay stickers

Does anyone know a solution to save the original stickers in the engine bay in the course of a respray? Any idea of removing them without damage? May be soaking them with WD40 or something else long enough? Or will brake fluid may be work to get them off with the dissolving paint?
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Michael I have removed them w/ succes. I used a warm air blower and workedit slowly.

Richard

I also used a heat gun to soften the original glue on my now sold 73S.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

I had them very carefully taped off before respraying my '72S.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Regluing?

Once they are off how do you glue them back down?

Take your time and go slow!

I have done this now on 4 cars. Here is my technique that always works good no crinkles etc.

Get a Heat Gun lowest setting heat up the sticker for a few seconds you will actually see the sticker lift just be careful dont heat it up too much you just want enough to get the old adhesive hot.

Get an 1.5 or 2 inch scraper with knife edge like a paint scraper. Once the sticker is warm keep the heat pointing at the edge of the scraper and gently push the scraper underneath the sticker to peel it up, if you feel alot of resistance more heat.

It works like a charm.

To Reattach them I have had good luck with 3m Spray Adhesive, make sure to by the 3m adhesive remover in case you spray too much!

Good luck

Jon W.
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

How did you store the stickers after removal so that they didn't re-attach themselfs to what you stored them on?

If they get ruined the link below is a good source for replacement decals.

http://www.skaraborgsflyg.com/Engelsk/eng%20indexd.html

I taped the edges upside down on a workbench and cleaned off the residue with 3m adhesive remover. then stored them in a page of a book, taped to cardboard!

Jon W.
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438