Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Porsche 930 RSR Leaf Green 30k orig. miles

1978 Porsche 930 RSR Leaf Green 30k orig. miles

1978 Porsche 930 RSR/934 Recreation
    Stock #0000

Vin# 9308800117
    32,000 original miles
    Less than 15,000 miles since complete restoration.
    Leaf Green with Black interior
    Well documented records and history.

This is a rare opportunity to own an incredibly special car with a fantastic history for a fraction of the price. This car was an unrestored concours original 1978 930 with only 4,500 miles in a storage facility in Nevada up until 7 years ago when an accomplished fabricator who had worked with Dan Gurney got hold of the car. This 930 was then transformed into a tribute to ‘70s Porsche racecar icons . There are many unusual details on this turbo that are done with the highest level of quality.

Originally, this 930 was delivered in Cashmere Beige. We had it in a “pink-pig” style livery to soften the blow of such a strange color. However, after many years, we had to do a change. So, we had the car stripped down to the bare metal and repainted factory Leaf Green. As some of you know, this color and code is no longer available and very tough to match. So, we got the help of the best…John Wilhoit of 356 fame. John was able to provide us with a perfect paint sample match. (note: John did not paint the car). The only part of the car that has the original Cashmere Beige is the frame rails of the engine compartment. We thought we should show what it once was.

Furthermore, the car just went through a complete service by the father and son team of Tony and Marco at TLG Auto (www.TLGAuto.com). They are very familiar with the current condition of the car and can give anyone an honest opinion of how nice this car really is.

Recently (August 2004), the car was a feature cover story in Excellence magazine. I have copies of the article I can email to you. Excellence wrote a 5-page article that goes in depth with the builder of the car and his motivations/thought process in developing this beast. Furthermore, 911 & Porsche World magazine just featured this car in a their latest issue. All in all, this car has appeared in over a dozen magazines as well as several TV shows.

Well over $120,000 has been invested into this car in just the past couple of years. And, much of the work was hand fabricated by the prior owner with no specific dollar figure assigned to his time and expertise. Here is a list of all the details/work done to the car:

Body/Exterior:
    • Filled in mirror holes, sunroof, antennae hole
    • Custom fit 934 front and rear flares
    • RSR rear bumpers
    • 934 custom front bumper with splitter
    • RSR Oil Cooler with cut out in engine area to fit RSR trunk floor
    • Custom fabricated duck tail to fit over 930 intercooler
    • Concours level repaint that was color sanded
    • Custom aluminum 917 centerlock wheels with custom centerlock adapters
    • 911R plexiglass rear side windows
    • Plexiglass rear windows with custom WWII fighter plane vents
    • Personalized California blue plate “Mad Kuh”
    • Vintage F1 style side mirrors
    • RSR license plate lights

Interior:
    • Completely redone
    • New RSR style bucket seats with custom sliding brackets
    • RSR lightweight carpet kit
    • Backdated door locks
    • RS lightweight door panels with custom speaker perforation and leather wrapped handles
    • Delete back seats
    • Rear speakers hidden under carpet covered parcel shelf
    • Custom RSR roll bar
    • Custom matching Coco floor mats
    • Delete center console, heater box to give an earlier look
    • Momo Prototipo steering wheel
    • Hard wired V1 radar detector (V1 not included)
    • Hard wired Ipod connector to Factory Blaupunkt stereo

Suspension/Brakes:
    • New 917 floating brake rotors and Mintex pads
    • 935 monoball coilover suspension
    • Corner balanced and alignment by Johnson Alignment
    • Dry weight is 2,565 lbs
    • New control arms
    • New upper and lower shock mounts
    • New spring plates
    • New Bilstein shocks

Engine/Exhaust:
    • Twin plug conversion by Andial:
    • Updated Tensioner Kit
    • New injection lines
    • New cam and oil lines
    • Intake manifold work
    • Cylinder head work
    • Valve job
    • Modify scavenger pump
    • New sport valve springs
    • Port and polish intakes
    • Cut valve seats
    • Bore intake blocks to 36mm
    • Bore Plenum to 36mm
    • Ollies rocker arms
    • Powdercoat fan

• Further engine/turbo work by Vision Motorsports:
    • 964 cams
    • New custom Borla exhaust
    • New BTR clutch and pressure plate
    • Modify wastegate
    • Devlar head studs
    • Kolken ceramic bearing turbo
    • Passes California’s strict smog test
    • Runs on 91 octane.
    • The motor is detuned to 0.5 bar of boost. Designed to run at 1.1 bar of boost. Even so, the car recently dyno tested at 315hp and 287 lb ft of torque to the rear wheels. At full boost, estimated crank hp is nearly 500hp!!

As you can tell, a lot of time, thought, and money went into this 930. It is a very special car with a well-documented history. It is a true head turner. This R Gruppe hot rod is becoming very well known in the Porsche world.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Paul at 714-668-0345 or paul@autokennel.com

For tons of pictures, either cut and paste the following URL into your browser, or click here: http://www.AutoKennel.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (60.3 KB, 968 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (63.7 KB, 959 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (70.4 KB, 995 views)

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

Paul,

Nice color change on the 'cow'.......

Let's please see an asking price on the car bud.....

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

$79,000 firm...I'm so tired of the haggling game. Considering what is done to the car, it is well worth it. If the market doesn't want to pay it, than fine, I will keep it. I've found that most people really underestimate the value of not just the parts and installation, but also tuning and fabricating everything to work. (I don't mean to sound bitter, but I hate all the bashers out there). Everyone who knows this car and has driven it, know that this is a serious car....whew...glad that's out.

paul

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

Paul:

You are in a cyclical business. The cycle is down now.
    Don't feel like the Lone Ranger because you are not the only person who has taken less for a car. Economics dictates price. Right now there is extreme downward pressure on everything. I see "deflation" everywhere and expect more before any turn around. It's actually a healthy thing although it could be years before you see prices rise like they did for the past 6 (although they actually flatened in 2007).

You cannot squeeze blood from a turnip and trying to sell a "one-off" like this is going to be tough in the best of markets.
    All who jumped on the bandwagon to "make money selling Porsches" will have to have the ability to "hold" and that can be a problem if you are floor-planning or working off of any type of credit program. The guys that I know who have been through this are good at weathering bad times and hold good product for better days. A profit is a profit and to hold out for the last penny is short sighted. I learned this from one of the best there is and it's never hurt me. BTW, it wasn't a car dealer either. Singles and doubles will keep you in the game and an occasional home run makes you happy. You cannot hit home runs every time you come to bat.

There are new car Porsche dealerships that didn't sell a SINGLE car last month. The local dealer didn't and the one in Richmond is sitting on 6-7 2008 models with an average price of $112,000.

To say "times are tight" is an understatement. This is the "new business" but believe me it affects all businesses, new or used. Here are some headlines I've followed lately.

Mercedes "buying out" plant workers in Alabama (slow SUV sales)

October sales may be lowest in a quarter century

ArvinMeritor laid off 1250

Nissan cuts profit forecast by 66%, will cut workforce

NADA estimates 700 dealers will close in 2008

Chrysler, LLC: Bob Nardelli to Employees: We're cutting 25% of remaining
    white-collar jobs

GM cutting more white-collar jobs and employee benefits

And all the magazines that are "Rah-Rah" for auctions missed B-J Las Vegas. That was a bomb. Anyone that says otherwise has a personal agenda that is not in-line with what's really going on out here.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the cheerleading. I really appreciate it. Most of my toys are mine and I own them outright. And, I'm willing to sit on them until the market gets better because I never bought them to flip, but rather to enjoy and fulfill childhood fantasies.

When the market gets better, some will sell. Some may sell sooner...you never know. I do know that there are vultures out there that think I'm going to liquidated like other dealers and that was never what I was about. In fact, we just signed a 5 year lease on a new location that is even bigger. We are positioned to be here for the long run becuase this is a true passion. I have another full time job that will eventually go away and when I can play with cars and make a living, I will be living the dream. Until then, it's all about delayed gratification.

I've had quite a few people come into our dealership (toy shop) and pretend to be serious buyers and waste everyone's time. I'm very straight forward with people and I prefer to negotiate all deals before hand. I don't like playing the chess game of pricing. I price cars and what I think they are worth. If I'm not willing to lower or negotiate, I let them know on the phone. I just want people to know where I stand and that I'm not like normal car "fllippers."

I don't mind if the market it is flat, because there have been some great cars at great prices that are enticing...who knows, I may just add to the collection.

...just my sunday morning ranting

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

It looks flippin mean. I love it.
    Brad Larson
    67 Soft Window S - Polo Red
    00 Boxster S - Speed Yellow

Thanks. I really think Leaf Green suits the shape of the car. We were even thinking of doing the hippie 917 graphics in a perrywinkle (blue/gray/purple) theme (if I keep it or if someone who buys it wants it that way.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

Paul,
    Car looks awesome, I had a 79 930 I was going to build that way, but once I sat down and added up up costs I decided to pass and stick wirh RSR project.
    Good Luck,
    Phil

Thanks for the kudos....you aren't kidding on the costs. The build money that went into this car is probably now closer to $150k!!

Ouch!

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post

And all the magazines that are "Rah-Rah" for auctions missed B-J Las Vegas. That was a bomb. Anyone that says otherwise has a personal agenda that is not in-line with what's really going on out here.

Tom
    Intersope Indy Porsche... Sold for $19,000 at the BJ in Vegas. Likely in need of a total restoration, looks like an E motor was installed. They never said much about what shape it was in. Certainly a significant piece of Porsche history.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli..._LotNumber=463

36K original mile 69 Z/28... $60K. Though having just gone through a total resto makes one wonder.
    http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli..._LotNumber=519

If only I wasn't putting my third daughter through a Jesuit University.

Car looks great Paul, Leaf Green is perfect. I was never a fan of the chocolate milk mad cow look. Best of luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway