Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hello from England, as I`ve started asking questions here on the forum, I thought I`d better introduce myself.

18 months ago, after quite a bit of looking, I came across a beautiful 1968 swb 2.0s and only about 6 miles from where I live. The chap who owned her had spent a great deal of time and effort ressurecting her and ... well... I just fell in love. (so did my wife which was lucky )

My first Porsche.

I`m a cabinet maker by trade, handy with chisels, not so much with spanners (wrenches) and after years of experience of my total lack of engineering skills, my wife made me promise that any work needed would be handed over to profesional. Every time I worked on cars I`d always have a few bits left over.... given enough time and cars there would probably enough bits left over to build a whole new car Sort of like the Johnny cash song.

So I drove the car for a whole trouble free year, but as sure as eggs is eggs, things needed doing. Fortunately with the help of friends on DDK I`m a little less daunted by the simple jobs. The support that people like me, get from the early Porsche forums is truly amazing, the depth of knowledge seems bottomless. I recently witnessed a 2.2 engine rebuild, nothing quite like jumping in at the deep end. I turned up in my dirty clothes expecting a dirty day. there was no dirt, just Swiss watch precision, a humbling experience.

Anyway, as I was saying, I`ve actually started working on my car and it seems that just driving these cars is only half the enjoyment. Latest achievement ? Stripping and relining my fuel tank, removing 40 years of rusty crud. Clean fuel has transformed my car, a revelation.

Here are a few shots of my lovely car, the first is an attempt to recreate the photo from an early road test. The colur, by the way is Albert Blue but originally ordered in Dolphin Grey.

Regards, Mike. (Thanks for the magazines by the way, always inspirational.)

Welcome to the board. Beautiful car! I love the color.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Great looking car! Is the same car that made an apearnace in one of the Euro mags about 1.5 years ago? Shot on a cloudy day - some pics with the car dry - some wet - 3/4 front shot on left page - 3/4 rear shot on right page - both full pages - that's all I can remember.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Thumbs up

Welcome Mike.......... beautiful car... and lass...

Your adventures have just begun mate ......

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Bloody flippin' brilliant car! I love Albert Blue and Dolphin Gray nearly the same. Dilemmas, dilemmas..
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Welcome! Wonderful introduction.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Welcome !!! Lovely car !!!
    Maurizio G.

Early S Registry member #1253

1968 MY 1969 Light Ivory 911E

Thanks, everybody, for the warm welcome.

Bob your memory serves you well, my car was featured in Total 911 in August 2006... before she was mine. It`s a slighly subdued report, written I think, by someone more used to testing GT3s or RSRs.

He liked the fact that the car had 4 seats and admitted "This 911s is the spiritual forerunner of every 911 I`ve ever driven" but he did seem a bit bewildered by the ancient alien environment. Light nose, tall skinny tyres, difficult dog leg box and selecting gears, like stirring thick soup.

But most telling:- "Hardly pant wetting performance"

I don`t think anybody told him to keep the revs above 5 and a half and drive it like you stole it.

But then would throw the keys of your beautiful car to a motoring journalist and tell him to wring it`s heart out on his first ride.

I`ve been asked to post a few pictures in the Show you ride thread, so I`ll try and dig out some other shots.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike,

Your car was also featured in the June '06 issue no. 55 of GT Purely Porsche.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Thankyou Carl, you`re right, a copy just arrived in my post box and sure enough there she is.

Same comments about sloppy gear changes, not surprising, when I came to change the bushings.... there wasn`t any, just bits of plastic in the bottom of the tunnel. Things are much better now.

Regards, Mike.