Thread: How many variations exist

How many variations exist

For the instrument that is second from the left (in my case the oil level gauge) on early cars. I thought the standard 911 version would be a combo oil temp and pressure. I however just found out that there was also a oil pressure and fuel level gauge. What other configurations exist that were factory stock?
    Lars

Seriously...anybody know the variations?

I have also seen pics of an oil temp and fuel level gauge combined...which may be the more typical configuration.

Speedo

How many variations exist

What year car are you talking about, there were some variations, primarily since not all cars had a oil level gauge. That was actually an option, although virtually all U.S. cars were ordered with the option. I have only seen a few of the non oil level cars, pretty rare.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

As a data point, my 1971 911S has a oil temperature and oil pressure gauge second from the left. On the far left is fuel level and oil tank level.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Sorry for the small photo.

Gauges (combinations):

Far left: fuel level - oil tank level

Second from left: oil temperature (Farenheit) - oil pressure (psi)

Third from left: Tachometer

Fourth from left: Speedometer

Fifth: Clock
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

some clarification...

I guess my specification of "early cars" was rather vague. I am working with SWB early green faced gauges. I have now seen three variants of the second gauge from the left 1) an oil temp gauge alone, 2) an oil temp guage on top and a fuel gauge on the bottom and 3) the same as 2) but with the gauges oriented on the sides vs top and bottom. I am to understand that another version exists (similar to the later black faced gauges) with the the oil temp on the left and the oil pressure on the right. In this situation, I think the gas gauge moves to the smallest left hand instrument as well as the oil level...although that may or may not be correct.

Ed, the year of the car is somewhat immaterial as it started life as a SWB 1966 912 and has evolved into a 1967 R clone with a 2.7 RS spec /webers. Recognizing that the Rs only had three instruments (with the standalone fuel gauge and clock) blocked off) , what would that combo instrument on the left have looked like? I'm guessing it was one of the fuel/oil temp variants? Or maybe a fue/oil temp/oil pressure setup?

Thanks for the help.

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Lars,

The sequence is:
    ’65-‘66 911: left – fuel & oil level on sides; 2nd left – oil pressure & temp on sides.
    ’65 912 3-instrument: Oil temp on top, fuel level on bottom.
    '67 911 (normal) & 5-instrument 912: left – fuel level on top; 2nd left oil temp on top.
    ’67 911S: same as ’65-’66 911 (except tach).
    These are all green/white.

Best,
    Grady

instruments sorted

There we go...I'm curious why the gauges migrated from the sides of the instruments to the top and bottom...maybe easier to read through the steering wheel.

Thanks Grady

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Lars,

I wasn’t privy to Porsche’s decisions but I suspect it went like this:
    The ’64 prototypes (same as ‘67S) were well received.
    The 3-instrument 912 in ’65 probably took some abuse. Looks cheap.
    The decision was made to only have 5-instrument dashes but offer two levels of instrumentation (plain and “S”).
    Having a “blank” instrument to plug the opening was not acceptable so the lower level instruments (911 & 912) had a function for each opening – fuel level, oil temp, tach, speedo, clock.
    Of course the proper “S” instrument stayed the same for decades; an ’89 Carrera is the same as a ’64 prototype. Well … with a few subtle differences.

We have all been so overexposed to the “S” instruments that we forget about the lower level 911, the 5-instrument 912 and the unique 3-instrument 912.

There are some very creative mods to the various instruments for our early cars. For one, you are going to need a warning light for your oil pressure switch. Early instruments assume either oil pressure gauge or oil pressure warning light – not both. You have several choices; you can ‘double-up’ with an existing light with diodes. You can modify an instrument with an additional light. You can be more creative.

One of the most sought after instruments ever was the 904 combination instrument to use in a 356B or C. It had three gauges: fuel level, oil temperature and oil pressure. The good news is that 914s have the same issue. Someone now makes that instrument for 914s and the face can be changed for 356s (and 911s if needed).

Another valuable and unusual instrument is the temperature gauge for a Sportomatic. The graduated dial has provision for a red temperature warning light incorporated in the gauge scale. You could put the sensor switch in the oil outlet pipe from the engine to warn of an over-temperature situation before it showed up on the gauge. This too can be made green/white for pre-’68 cars.

I am a firm believer in very bright warning lights. Today’s LEDs come to mind. Their function is to get your attention to the critical gauge, just as you are apexing a turn on Sugarloaf Road.

Best,
    Grady