Thread: Loose stud or stripped lug nut

Loose stud or stripped lug nut

My mechanic just put on new Eibach studs as we added wheel spacers to the rear. I put on new black lug nuts and on two studs the lug nut is on, will not tighten and will not come off. It does not seem likely that two lug nuts next to each other are stripped. It seems more likely that the studs came loose. When installing the studs, my mechanic advised that he needed to drill out the holes in the hub as the new stud head was larger than that of the factory stud.

Is that a proper procedure to drill out the holes in the hub to install the new studs? and if so, how do I get these lug nuts off to check the studs?

What a bummer this is Huge frustration.

Thanks for the help.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

old softie67S

drill out?

If I am not mistaken isn't the mating surface of the rear of the flange and the taper on the stud serated? I believe it is that serated interface that locks the stud in place when the nut tightems and draws the stud into positon. Maybe some here has a different opinion but I can not image needing or wanting to drill anything if it is the proper wheel stud. Is this on the front or rear. Neither would be good but the fromt might require less work? Good luck with this. tom
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Tom:

The mechanic advised that the hole needed to be drilled out (made larger in diameter) as the the new studs were larger (head of the stud) than the stock stud. I, too have not heard of this. This was done to the rear.

I do not know what to do at this point. If they screwed it up, there shall be no admission and I will, most likely, be told that it is about the studs and all cost to repair this is mine.

I hope other post so I can get an idea as to how to proceed.

Thanks,

John
    John

RGruppe member 445

old softie67S

So Sorry

John

The hard part is going to be getting the nuts off with damaging the wheels. If he drilled the stub axle already, there is no going back. If it is already ruined, it would seem that you could weld the stud to the back side of the flange. All you are doing is keeping the stud from spinning. I hope you have only one side screwed up. Best of luck. tom
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab

studs

I have put longer studs on my car in the past. The short studs are serrated and the long ones are also
    serrated. You install the new ones with a press, or if careful a large hammer, I never had to drill them.

We got it done. We learned that two of the studs came loose. That was strange as they were torqued to 94 lbs. Anyway, we got lucky as an impact wrench took off both lug nuts that were spinning in either direction. We decided to place two small welds at each seperate stud. They are on now!!!

The studs were Eibachs.

Thanks for the idea on the welds. It worked out perfect.
    John

RGruppe member 445

old softie67S

happy for you

I am very happy you got the lugs off without a battle. It can be a night mare All is well that ends well. tom
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab