Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Kit Police Help

Tool Kit Police Help

I am looking for the correct open end wrench designation for a late (4/73) build date 911 tool kit. I have a kit that contains both drop forged steel and selected special steel wrenches, screw driver with double bit blade, is this the correct stuff.
    Thanks,
    Phil

Correct tool kit

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    I am looking for the correct open end wrench designation for a late (4/73) build date 911 tool kit. I have a kit that contains both drop forged steel and selected special steel wrenches, screw driver with double bit blade, is this the correct stuff.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil,

You didn't indicate if you thought this kit original to your car? The double blade is almost positively correct for your car. This was a mid-73 year change and I'd think it doubtful that, however, you ended up with the wrong screwdriver since, otherwise, it would be two.

As for the wrenches, very interesting! The SSS are, I'd think, correct and the DFG steel are the defacto standard. So, did the Porsche toolkit supplier actually mix wrenches? One would think not...how unGerman...BUT. I had a kit that I thought most likely original and it had a similar mutt mixture. Of course, this could happen at a shop or from an owner who had several Porsches. That is why it would be interesting to know how "original" you think the kit it.

Also, what pliers do you have? Please post pics too if you can. Thanks.

-Allen-

Allen,
    I have a 73 S that did not come with a complete tool kit. I have a bunch of leftover tools and am trying to put together a correct and complete kit. I emailed Eric, I think he has forgotten more about this stuff than rest of us can hope to know. I have seen a lot of posts where people have kits that contain both style of wrenchs, I post a pics of pliers, I know there is a few styles there as well.
    Thanks,
    Phil

Allen,
    I have a 73 S that did not come with a complete tool kit. I have a bunch of leftover tools and am trying to put together a correct and complete kit. I emailed Eric, I think he has forgotten more about this stuff than rest of us can hope to know. I have seen a lot of posts where people have kits that contain both style of wrenchs, I post a pics of pliers, I know there is a few styles there as well.
    Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil,

Not to be pedantic, but re. the '73S, what DID it come with? As for a correct tool kit: OK...come to think of it..does your "original" bag have a tie rather than snaps? If so, then you have the bag that matches your reversible screwdriver? If not, then the bag or the screwdriver is wrong. I'm GUESSING, they match?

-Allen-

-Allen-

Allen,
    Didn't come with a bag just a few tools, I have some spares from years of owning early 911's just trying to find out what should be correct and see if I can assemble a complete kit.
    Phil

OK If..

Phil,

If early 73 and earlier kit: standard clip basket weave, two 10K volt screwdrivers, DFG'd wrenches most likely, Hapawee pliers, and generator wrenches and spark plug as standard,

If mid-73 tie bag SS wrenches, one screwdriver you have TIE bag. See this picture. Note the spark plug wrench is slightly different with taper which is correct for mid'73 and different than earlier LWB version. Bag in this photo is incorrect (I later learned) for mid'73 kit. Otherwise it is ALL correct..

-Allen-

A plug for

My friend Scott....I just saw this...really.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...Q5fAccessories

-Allen-

Allen,
    Thanks for the pic and link to ebay. Do you know when the switch was made from the early to the later style kits.
    Phil

Switcheroo

Allen,
    Thanks for the pic and link to ebay. Do you know when the switch was made from the early to the later style kits.
    Phil
    I don't know exactly when that happened. With enough members with original cars (toolkits), we could probably figure it out.

-Allen-

This is interesting, at least to the overally anal types. I located a toolkit from an original 73 T, build date 12/72- it has both types of open end wrenches (DF and SSS) the interchangable blade screw driver and a "old" style pouch. My hunch is there was a transition period to the contents of the tools kits, where there was a mixture of old and new stuff, any comments.
    Phil