Thread: Some P cars are holding their value

Some P cars are holding their value

That's actually pretty cool...a long lost factory race car.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Written up in Sports Car Market already. Good story; more to come. SUBSCRIBE. It's a great rag.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Written up in Sports Car Market already. Good story; more to come. SUBSCRIBE. It's a great rag.

Tom
    X2 The only mag I literally look forward to coming each month. Been a subscriber since 94 when it was Sports Car Market Newsletter.

From SCM...

A derelict drag car without engine or transmission has turned out to be one of the original six Pontiac Factory Super Duty Tempest coupes, and it fetched a surprising $226,521.63 when the 9-day eBay sale ended on November 9.

The seller bought the Harrison, Michigan car after the owner died, and bidding opened at a mere $500. Questions from buyers - there were 71 bids in all - determined that the car had plastic windows, a race track plaque on the dash and a heavy duty rear suspension with long rods to the front of the cabin.

Research indicates it appears to be the missing Stan Antlocer racer, which was the fastest car in its class in 1963. Midway through the sale, the seller turned down an offer of $160,000 because he was worried about negative feedback, and it looked like an expensive decision when bidding stalled at $95,000 with under seven minutes to go. But a furious rally began, and $125,000 later the gavel fell at more than $226,000.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Bummler View Post
    X2 The only mag I literally look forward to coming each month.
    X3 It's also my favorite magazine.

A friend of mine owns Herbert Platt's Georgia Shaker drag car. He was very happy to hear about SCM article on the Tempest.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post

Tom
    That's where I originally saw it.

So this story has gone full circle now. The $500 junker has been restored and is heading back to the auction block, looking totally badass I might add!

Super Duty LeMans to Cross the Block

Pontiac tempest 1.jpg

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    its always sad when stuff like this is restored to a level beyond what it was originally.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    its always sad when stuff like this is restored to a level beyond what it was originally.
    You're singing my song .... 'Over-Restoration'.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    Surely, that's trenchant sarcasm... aside from having to create a new aluminum front clip instead of reuniting the car with it's original,
    the resto looks pretty right for what will be a mid-to-high 6 figure Pontiac. It might be a bit shiny and smooth compared to how it was,
    but that's what those buyers expect. The article says a price couldn't be agreed on the front clip... who would keep the nose from a significant car because of a few bucks? And it's a shame the Powershift transaxle won't be included when it sells.
    Even though it set it's records with a live axle, the transaxle is an important piece of the engineering concept.

I remember this causing quite a stir on BaT at the time, the small group posting back then couldn't believe the final sale.
    Last edited by Bullethead; 11-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT