Thread: Steering Wheel Issues

Steering Wheel Issues

My '67 911S Targa has a wood rim steering wheel with the leather 'puck' centre. It is in generally pretty good condition, but I am planning to take it off over the long cold winter here and see if I can get it properly refurbed. The leather centre is terrific, but the chrome plated ring around it is a bit patchy. So the first question is whether there is somewhere in the USA I can send it to have the plating (if it is possible?) and other general cleanup work done on the horn ring and wheel spokes.

I also have a 39 cm (around 15 inches) Nardi woodrim wheel (and Porsche horn button) I bought about 20 years ago when I was having an old "banjo" type wheel from my '56 Speedster restored. I'd like to try it in the 911S because, being fairly tall, I find that the large diameter original wheel is making selection of first and reverse gears awkward because I can't get my leg under the wheel and out of the way. (I've adjusted the shift as far over as I can without losing fourth and fifth). I'd like to try the smaller wheel, but I don't have a boss to fit. I'm sure there must be a suitable boss out there somewhere - can anyone advise me where I can buy one please?

Cheers
    Greg Lund
    Hokkaido, Japan
    --------------------
    Tangerine '67 911S Targa
    Silver '91 C2 Coupe
    Red Audi A4 Quattro
    Silver Subaru Twin Turbo AWD Legacy Wagon
    Navy Toyota Hilux Surf

You can buy the Nardi adapter at Crowder's Customizing here. These are factory Nardi adapters and bolt on directly.
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

Thanks very much Mike. Exactly what I need. Placing the order now.

Cheers
    Greg Lund
    Hokkaido, Japan
    --------------------
    Tangerine '67 911S Targa
    Silver '91 C2 Coupe
    Red Audi A4 Quattro
    Navy Toyota Hilux Surf

wood rim wheel restoration

Greg,

You can try Mark Allin, a member of this board for all your steering wheel repair issues. He is known as VintageSeats for PM purposes.

Good luck,

John

Many thanks John. I'll get in touch with Mark very soon. I might opt not to use the original wheel for everyday use, but really want to have it looking pristine. It will look good hanging on the wall in the study till I need to put it back in any case.

Cheers
    Greg
    Hokkaido, Japan
    --------------------
    Tangerine '67 911S Targa
    Silver '91 C2 Coupe
    Red Audi A4 Quattro
    Navy Toyota Hilux Surf