Thread: RS engine components???

RS engine components???

I am in the process of tearing down a '75 Euro Carrera 2.7 motor. After months of trying to find a correct home for this engine, I decided I would build a nice RS spec motor on a normal 7R case and just sell/trade off the Carrera case. Now that I am completely into this engine, it is apparent that the date coded items like the heads and the MFI pump are from the 6th and 7th months of 1973. Wouldn't these items be correct for a real'RS' engine? I know the production run of '73 RS's went into these months.

In reading posts where someone will label a Euro 2.7 Carrera a 'RS', they immediately get shot down by another claiming it's not the real thing. Based upon what I am seeing on this '75 engine, some of it's most important and RS specific core parts are not only the same part numbers, but were produced at the same time.

I am not trying to really start an all out debate, but feel this is production info that should be shared. Is this motor just an anomaly, or is there a pattern of Porsche making the 2.7 available until all of it's inventory of these core RS parts made at the end of '73 production ran out (all the way into 1976) and all of these 911/83 motors are made with real RS components?

Maybe, but given the date codes of parts I have seen in late production year cars, not necessarily. I have seen plenty of cars with original parts that date from before the facotry cut off date. The line is much less clean on parts than serials/engine numbers.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

JP,

As far as I know the last of what you said is right...

The dates you state are indeed the last of the 2.4S and F series RS car and part production runs. It is of reason that the few F Series components on your Euro Carrera come from the last few months of this production. Except for your engine number, many engine parts are from 2.4S production... like your heads. Also, I don't believe they had a superseded number for the #019 RS Carrera MFI pump, it's the last pump listed in the Bosch book, so the last pump to go on the G and H Series Euro Carrera cars as well.... and that series pump started in late '72.

Your car IS unique, however I believe it's engine parts basically came from 2.4S and F Series RS replacement and over stock.... Which is some of the best production stuff they ever made…

Guys, help me if I'm wrong…...

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter