Thread: Underbody color on a '67

Underbody color on a '67

Okay, I know it's supposed to be black but the car in question had a decent repaint but the PO slacked a bit on some of the detail work. I'm trying to correct as much of that as practical. The underside of the car was repainted body color (light ivory). It still has the factory applied undercoating though that is in excellent shape. After reading the "700 mile 911 thread" it sure look to my eye as if Rustoleum Satin Black (7777) that I have used in the past for Fuchs wheels and most recently on the decklid grill area would be an excellent match. Anybody care to chime in on why this would or would not be a good approach to take.

Thanks for your continued help....

Gratuitous pic of the rear deck post painting but prior to grill installation
    '73 914 2.0
    '74 911 Coupe
    '74 911 Targa
    '78 924
    '84 944
    '86 944 Turbo
    '88 930S M505 (current)
    '96 993 Coupe (current)
    '73 911T (MFI) (current)

'84 944 (current)
    Early 911S Registry #1030

Hmmm...have you thought about using Wurth High Build Underseal (not to be confused with SKS Stoneguard) to lay down on top of the painted undercoating? It lays down near flat - more like a sand texture - and is a nice rich deep flat black. I would never think the underside of a car as having any type of sheen. I would test a section to make sure there is no bad reaction.
    This is the underside of my car taken down to bare metal, POR15 METAL READY, POR15 then Wurth High Build Underseal. I did not want the original heavy back on the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Hi Bob,

You have me a little confused on the whole "flat" thing. When I look at the pic of your car there is a distinct sheen to it. The underside shots of the 700 mile 911 also show a sheen. I think that the Rustoleum Black Satin would be a pretty close match to that. Additionally, when the underside gets a layer of dust and dirt it will flatten up.

I had thought of going the Wurth underseal route and can still go that way but I assumed that we didn't need more undercoating and the finish of the undercoating itself would be further from the factory look.

I'd like your thoughts since you are one of the key guys in my book....
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    '73 914 2.0
    '74 911 Coupe
    '74 911 Targa
    '78 924
    '84 944
    '86 944 Turbo
    '88 930S M505 (current)
    '96 993 Coupe (current)
    '73 911T (MFI) (current)

'84 944 (current)

I would think satin would be fine, it's a bit more on the "dull" side I believe, kinda like Bob's pic.

You don't want a totally "flat" paint, as all the dirt will get stuck in it.

Okay so I took a peek under the car. I don't know if I would go so far as to say it is satin. Fritter has a good point about the wiping off dirt which falls under more satin than flat category. My finish is an extreme rich black which may explain some of its reflectiveness in pics along with flash photography.
    I think the bigger challenge is to find a product that won't react to the current finish. On my last gas tank I wanted to do some touch up on the original textured finish. I sprayed it with Wurth after a little touch up with POR15. I let it cure for several days yet it never really dried. It was always soft and the compartment carpet stuck to it. I think the original stuff is oil based and was reacting to whatever based the new Wurth was made from.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Thanks Bob,

Well maybe we will just have to experiment a bit with both options.

I appreciate your point about the compatibility with the current paint. I did use the Rustoleum satin black on the decklid and since that has the same paint as on the underside of the car I think we will be fine there. However, we will be careful. I'll post our results when we are done.....
    '73 914 2.0
    '74 911 Coupe
    '74 911 Targa
    '78 924
    '84 944
    '86 944 Turbo
    '88 930S M505 (current)
    '96 993 Coupe (current)
    '73 911T (MFI) (current)

'84 944 (current)