Thread: battery drain traced to #2 fuse on '68...now what?

battery drain traced to #2 fuse on '68...now what?

On my '68, the battery goes dead after the car sits for 4-7 days or so. Don't know the age of the battery, but it looks relatively new. Have had no problems driving at night for 1 - 1 1/2 hours at a time. Headlights aren't dim, etc.

Checked the current draw at each fuse location. The #2 fuse (cigarette lighter, interior lights, clock) showed 0.66 mA draw while all other fuse locations showed 0.0 - 0.1 mA (I interpret this as zero). When interior lights are on, the draw is around 0.77 mA.

Based upon experience, what should I check next in order of likelihood? Clock? Prefer not to go through all of the circuits if someone has a feel for the the likely culprit.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

pull the bulb on the interior light, it drains mine slowly...
    Bob Petitt
    1967 911S Coupe 307653S, my barn find - 55,000 miles Looking for engine #961269 and trans 901/02 #104337
    1971 911T Coupe 9111120264, my first 911 back in my garage
    1972 BMW 2002, my first car - 350,000 miles and counting
    1972 911T Coupe 9112100970, Sporto, parted it out..
    1983 BMW 320i, my everyday car - 138,000 miles and gutless
    2005 Subaru Outback, the daily driver - boring
    2006 Volvo XC90,

Registry Membership #202

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic View Post
    The #2 fuse (cigarette lighter, interior lights, clock) showed 0.66 mA draw
    When interior lights are on, the draw is around 0.77 mA.
    The clock would be a likely culprit, but that is still very fast.
    Are you sure of the scale of your readings? 0.77 mA for the light seems awfully low, are you sure it isn't 0.77 A?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Eliminate the variables one by one - I agree with Dave and would recommend disconnecting the clock first.

I purchased a clock in 'excellent condition' on ebay. Shortly thereafter, my battery was killed just a few days after not running the car (several times). Come to find out from Bernie, there is a mechanism (rewind?) which sometimes goes bad. It is designed to run periodically but when the mechanism goes bad, it runs perpetually and draws a significant enough current to kill the battery.

The sick clock has now found a new location where all it draws down is my electric bill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Quote Originally Posted by 911scfanatic View Post
    I think Allen and John are the same person operating under the guise of two respected individuals on the Board in an effort to flood the early 911 world with fake 7R wheels. How's that for a theory?
    Bill, looks like your speaking out against the forces of evil has resulted in their sending the gremlins to git ya Your efforts to stand tall against a flood of fake 7R wheels are making you a martyr. And draining your battery
    Sounds like the clock. I guess previous owner had same issue, and only solution was to buy new battery for resale.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Karl, if I don't fight evil, who will? The world is a little shy on super heroes nowadays.

Everyone, thank you for your replies. I will continue work on this tomorrow with a suspicious eye on my clock.
    Bill G.

Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating

Yes, I have been having problems with gremlins for some time. The other week I was tuning the carbs with the obligatory beer to help ensure a job well done. Anyway, I had the beer on the roof. I looked away for a moment, and the beer mysteriously fell off the roof and left a nice dent in the quarter trim. Fortunately, I had some cameras set up to catch the little SOB in his next act:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bill G.

trim

I have always wondered how I got the same dent on my chrome trim. Came that way from the previous owner. I guess he had the same "gremlin" in his garage.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)