Thread: Historic Race Documents

Historic Race Documents

Original post......
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Raj, do you know the story behind the Peter Gregg letter? It is hilarious!
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

It's been a long time since I paid under $30 for a part on a race car.
    Phil

Okay Raj, you have twisted my arm.

Harry told me this story: They were competing at a race just prior to the date of the letter. Harry's gearshift lever broke, and he tried to find one somewhere at the track. As luck would have it, one of Peter's mechanics was willing to give Harry a gearshift. I'm not sure if it was a spare part they had on hand or not; better to ask Harry. Without the gearshift, Harry would not be able to compete. Peter was incensed that his mechanic would give Harry a part, apparently. Peter was a bit of a hothead at times, and extremely competitive. Peter himself made sure that Harry paid for the part. I guess there was no friendship between them. At least that is the impression that I got from Harry. Now Harry is a very likeable guy while Peter was, well you know, Peter Perfect.

The Ginther letter is quite revealing. Harry said he got most of his suspension tips from Richie. Harry also told me about being down at one race (I forget which one, but it was one where he was the co-driver) where he was not entered. Another owner with a factory GT was there but needed an experienced driver in order to qualify for a spot on the grid. Harry was asked, and accepted. I believe he said the factory car handled like a pig compared to his own. So Richie was instrumental in getting the 914/6 GT to handle well and be competitive. Harry also told me that the 914/6 GT was competitive in 2.0 liter form until the 2.8 liter 911 (IROC) came out.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers