Thread: Early 911/912 supensions

Early 911/912 supensions

What are the issues with the early 911/912 "non-adjustable" front suspension? Do the cars drive differently? What's up?
    Various Porsche's

Well, the "issue" is that the camber setting is not adjustable, so you are stuck with whatever camber you get. In the very early cars the camber and caster angles were minimal, so they do drive differently insofar as these suspension settings affect the handling when the car rolls over in a turn. The factory corrected this later on, and made the strut tops adjustable from Chassis No. 302695.

Here is a picture of my rust free 65 shell (for SALE!) showing the non adjustable strut tops. Very similar to what you find in the rear.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    ...when the car rolls over in a turn.

Oh.....I hope not.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

No adjustments?

The front towers are lacking the camber adjustments - three top bolts - so the camber and caster is pre-set.

If you follow the Porsche AG "rule book" method you can "find" about 1 degree of negative camber with out machining anything. And up to 2 degrees neg if you move a little metal - offset top bushings and oval bolt holes on the lower A arm ball joint holes. I've seen welded A arms and new holes drilled outboard of the stock locations, so rather than moving in the shock top to get the desired camber they moved out the bottom - (if I remember correctly it is about 1/8" per degree).

The skinny ball joints that Porsche "had to change" in 1969 have held up well to over 15 years and 200,000 track and street miles, (I'll be replacing mine - just on principal - not because they were sloppy or wear out fast - I didn't to air-borne rally landings with the car.... they can perform well and do last).

Pay attention to preload on the joints for good alignment results - just like it calls for in the spec book.

With the 1969> ball joint, adjustable shock tower and raised strut axle you can get some very good track adjustments for the 911, so from the pre 1969 perspective the early set up is a real disadvantage... but it sure makes for a fun car to drive - not optimum - but fun.

The period light feel of turn in and the big steering wheel for extreme precise input has a very high order of driver enjoyment.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

PM sent John.

thanks,

Erich
    Early 911S Registry #263