Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Max Moritz, Kremers, Georg Loos

Max Moritz, Kremers, Georg Loos

The recent threads about the Kremer 911STs have been great for technical details and historical racing photos.

This has me wondering- who were the Kremer brothers? How did they succeed in such a high-performance level of motor-racing, winning LeMans with the 935K4 when the factory's Moby Dick could not? I am reminded of Alpina and the BMW CSLs. Were they a semi-factory team like John Wyer or Penske, helping to develop technology for the factory?

That thought leads me to ask about Max Moritz and Georg Loos.

Were these great Porsche privateers simply skilled mechanics who made performance parts in their powerfull shops? Did they race to improve their own mechanical upgrades and publicize their buisiness?

Anyone care to shed some light?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Max,
    Just a thumbnail on each.
    The Kremer brothers Erwin and Manfred were tuners from Cologne who were very sucessful with racing 911s from about 1968 onward including winning the Porsche Cup.
    They made a point of employing top rate drivers after Erwin ceased driving.They also had(have?) a Porsche dealership.
    One of them died about a year or so ago.
    After Porsche ceased making customer 935s('78 and '79) the Kremers made their versions, K3 and K4, available to other teams mainly in the USA until about '82.
    You must remember that Moby Dick only had two factory starts in 1978,finishing 2nd at Silverstone and a DNF at Le Mans.
    Georg Loos was(is) a property developer who started serious racing in a Ferrari 512S in Interserie and subsequently switched to RSRs and 935s but was not quite at the same level as his employed drivers.
    The difference between Kremer and Loos was that the Loos cars were works maintained and the Kremers did all their own work/development.
    Max Moritz was a Porsche dealer from Munich(?) who raced at the same time as the Kremers and Loos.
    An exciting race era !!

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

A great topic for a thread.

.........and if you are going to mention those people you should not omit Strahle and Meznarie, both of whom had very longstanding and close relationships with the factory, or perhaps Bonomelli in Italy , Sonauto in France or Scania-Varbis in Sweden (for rallying). (and I am sure I will be embarrassed later for forgetting other important players)

It is almost a topic for a book.....while most of the main players are still with us, and just how much they helped the factory develop the racing programme and in turn how much the factory used them for covert development or just to get the recognition out there.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thumbs up

Boy, Hugh is right...... indeed at least thread of it's own

Whenever you have an excellent piece of machinery offered to a speed happy, innovative, world wide customer base... who are further motivated by their own interests... you have LEAPS in very expedient technological advancements...... FASTER, QUICKER, BETTER

Most anecdotal info points to the Kremer's fielding the first wide fender 911..... only after it's success did the factory fallow.....

... and so it goes
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Max and Moritz

Max and Moritz were very active in the Racing days with their 911 and the famous 914 that is now here in the US.They came out of Reutlingen I believe.
    In Munic was Mahag but they only prepared Rallye beetles as well did Porsche Salzburg at the time and they very very successful in International Rallye szene.
    GeLO or Georg Loos than faltered due to his businesses, but there 2 other race teams Kannacher and Tebernum, they both serviced independently Porsches and had a scrap metal business. Than they vanished from the racing scene after a few years due to..
    and what about the Frere Almeras, still haveing their Porsche dealership and their prepared Rallye 911 won the Monte Carlo .
    regards Stefan GTSclassics
    702 353 7175
    ClassicCarSeats.com

Georg Loos with his Ferrari 512 and Porsche 911T. He was born in Cologne 1945. The Gelo Racing Team 1971 hade Ferrari 512, McLaren M8E Can-Am and 911T. Photo is from Juni 1971.
    Former owned
    1967 911 rally B Waldegård/L Helmér B 34880
    1967 911 rally B Waldegård/L Helmér B 79072
    1968 911L rally Å Andersson/S-O Svedberg BB 4300

My old Porsche 356 over the years. http://www.porsche356klubb.se/forum/...php?f=11&t=294

Old 912 Rally cars http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread....sports-History

Wow, thanks for the responses.

I am interested in all the other privateers you may have information on.

This is a cool discussion.

More famous cars:

Tony A2Z in David Piper's 917 and his Milestone Racing Trans-Am 911

another Kremer 911ST

Tebernum 911RSR- not sure about the "Foto" car edit: I see "Max Moritz" on it

And, lest we forget Brumos!, winners overall of Daytona 24 Hours with a 911RSR

Michael Keyser's 911RS

all of these are food for thought...

I had the good opportunity to help restore this car which had direct connections to Max Moritz and Kremer...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

One of my favorite racing 911s...