Thread: Early 911/912 front end setup...

Early 911/912 front end setup...

guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here...

I have a pretty intact early front end, consisting of the steering box, lower A arms, struts, and tie-rods. I need to go look at it but I believe it still has the solid brake rotors on it as well. no brake calipers - that I remember...again, I gotta go look at it.

I got this as part of a larger trade many years ago. I believe it's all original stuff and can be assumed ready for a complete re-fresh.

Anybody have an idea what this assembly might be worth? I will check and see if the strut tops are adjustable - making them later units, right?. If they are NOT adjustable, this would make them very early 65-66+ right?

A small history lesson will help me here as well. Last thing I want to do is mis-represent anything. That's one of my worst nightmares

Anyone? standing by...

Happy Holidays
    Cheers
    r/thom

Homemade,
    The front discs on all early 911 cars should be vented. Rear brakes on the SWB 911 (non S and non L ) were non-vented.

I believe that some early 911 models came with solid rotors.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg2.htm#item10

I have a set of these from a '67.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

they did...

the earliest 911s had solids...not sure when the vented front rotors 1st showed up. at any rate, I believe the 912s ran the solids for awhile longer than the 911s did...my '68 912 had solids on it, and it was a pretty original car.

Cheers
    r/Thom

EDIT: I just looked this up in my Spec book(s) The ft rotors were solid on the base 911/912 model up to '69. The S & E models all had vented rotors...
    (pg 77 in the original 912/911 spec book, pg 84 in the 69-71 spec book.)

Thom,

Are these for a SWB car? I am assuming so since you say solid rotors. The A arms are much different as well as the ball joints. Not sure if you can tell the adjustability as that was in the body, not the strut. Therefore, 65-68 ft was essentially the same. As far as price...I have not a clue.

The first vented rotors were on the 67S... all others were solid until 69. 69-73 were all the same vented in the rear and two options in the front (S or T calipers and struts). The Struts for the S calipers have 3.5" bolt spacing while the T calipers retained the 3" spacing of the SWB cars.

Do you have any photos?
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Thom,

Are these for a SWB car? I am assuming so since you say solid rotors. The A arms are much different as well as the ball joints. Not sure if you can tell the adjustability as that was in the body, not the strut. Therefore, 65-68 ft was essentially the same. As far as price...I have not a clue.

The first vented rotors were on the 67S... all others were solid until 69. 69-73 were all the same vented in the rear and two options in the front (S or T calipers and struts). The Struts for the S calipers have 3.5" bolt spacing while the T calipers retained the 3" spacing of the SWB cars.

Do you have any photos?
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown