Thread: Not an early 911 but worth a mention

Not an early 911 but worth a mention

two more...

Quote Originally Posted by EA911 View Post
    here's two more:
    www.canepa.com (look under "collector cars")

www.motorclassiccorp.com (look under "porsche")

Don't know anything about any of 'em...the one at Canepa's sounds real interesting in that it appears it's been tweaked enough where one could actually drive it on a regular basis...

So there ya go.

r/Thom

O.T. ON Topic

There are a lot of "late to the party" items coming out of the woodwork now.

This is NOT the time to sell (unless you have to). Remember that before you sign up on E-Bay and keep it in mind when negotiating.

Anomalies aside, if you track track prices and sales on E-Bay and use other data providers you will understand that things are not selling like they did a year ago.

Now is the time to H O L D and I don't mean stocks and mutual funds.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Raj:

The smell of blood in the water is getting worse. I read an e-bay ad last night where a guy admitted to as much as to being in over his head with a vehicle. His attitude for selling wasn't the best so I don't expect him to come close to his goal (which is about 20% high).
    Motorcycle prices are off 7-20% across the board (this is not me speaking; this is the industry which follows the hobby).
    If you ever wanted a real superbike or vintage racer to display they are out there and prices are dropping.

You don't ride so it doesn't matter which one; just buy the best!

They take up less space and are easier to store (and move). I have XX in my garage with plenty of room left over for tools, lifts and paraphernalia related to restoration and engine work.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

saw my old 73RS on Canepa site - great memories

I've always had a soft spot for the 959. As a result, I went to Canepa's site to look at his sold inventory and looked up my Viper Green 73RS #376. They recently sold the car. That car was my 15 minutes of fame in the Wonderful World of Porsches! I restored that bad boy cosmetically but never touched the unbelievable Kremer motor. By the way, my friend Dick Moran ( who has an extensive RS collection ) ran across the Kremer engraved steering wheel on E-Bay and bought it for me. When the package arrived from Germany, there was Kremer packaging tape around the plastic wrapping --- "Kremer Porsche Koln, Germany". I e-mailed back to them asking where the tape came from. The response was I could get more tape if I wanted. I e-mailed back asking who I was talking to. Erwin Kremer himself! I told him about 376 and he responded back 1) that was the last Kremer Wheel he had and 2) He was delighted that the wheel was going on a car that was to be driven, he even recalled the car. I'll never have another encounter like that again and will always cherish the memory. Bruce Canepa is a class act, and his 959 update is second to none!

Duane Hyatt
    Duane Hyatt

car values in today's market

Tom's points are, in my opinion, well taken and, I believe accurate in most circumstances. However, the reasons for selling and the market level your car falls into come into play.
    I live 2 miles from the B-J auction circus and have followed the auctions from the first ones under the Kruse auction circuit which began every January. Old Tom Barrett got very smart in a hurry. He eventually became one of the foremost world authorities on high end vintage cars from 1915 through the Golden Era of the thirties.
    I would watch in amazement as a certain car would sell for 60-80k and an almost identical spec car would go for +400k right after the 80k car! Documentation and pedigree!
    The experts claim the year's economic trend, stock market,etc, follows the current auction sales prices plotted against previous years. The constant, however, are the Rare Air examples.
    Doing away with reserves also separates the BS from the Blueberries, which was initiated several years ago.
    The greatest establishment of value occured with the Hitler Parade Mercedes Grosser. First million dollar car! Prior to that year"s auction, Barrett had three Mercedes in a red barn on his property. Grosser #1 and identical Grosser #2 under custom car covers. Also, he had the Eva Braun (sp) Mercedes. Very few knew of that stash of cars. The #2 Grosser turned up for auctin several years later.
    The car market at our level, however, fluctuates no doubt. But there are many many layers in the car market.
    The bottom line here is that there are several value tiers of collector cars where the educated market knows the difference on all levels. You pick your field and run in it.
    In my opinion, the same value markers occurs with our Porsches and some of the car experts would refer to the lower prices as being more compact during the liquidation/adjustment cycle.

Duane Hyatt
    Duane Hyatt

It'll truly be interesting to see how the BJ auction does this winter given the current circumstances/conditions.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schooley View Post
    It'll truly be interesting to see how the BJ auction does this winter given the current circumstances/conditions.
    I have this feeling... And personally I hope Craig Jackson takes it in the shorts...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Craig Jackson inherited the auction. Not much personality, and the auction is a success despite him. It's an unbelievable zoo. Very popular with "uncles" who take their nieces. Nice family touch I enjoy the auction for it's "show" and could care less about CJ. BTW, the gate, TV rights, and vendor booth rental pays all the overhead, which leaves auction fees as pure profit! Anyway, I think I'll drive past the tents on the way in to work tomorrow...
    Duane Hyatt