Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyrrell 034 On-Board

Tyrrell P034 On-Board

Unique on-board footage of the 6-wheeler (starts at 1:20 into the video).

1977 Monaco Tyrrell P034 On-Board Video

And great footage from the 1978 USGP at Long Beach. Not sure why, but those old film cameras capture the action much better than today's sophisticated digital equipment. You really get a true sense of the speed and danger in this vid:

1978 Long Beach USGP West

Awesome clips ............ outrageous footage.

Thanks for finding these,

Chuck

One of the Gardner designed 6-wheeler Tyrrells was at the Monterey Historics earlier this year.....and was driven with real gusto in the F-1 races. Stills are never as exciting as good period films, but never-the-less, I hope these shots will give those not familiar with the P-34 an idea of the brilliance of the design and the sheer genius of an entirely new way of "thinking outside the box". Naturally the spoil sports at the then French dominated FIA immediately banned it once it won it's first race.....which was only a matter of time given the other-worldly handling of the thing.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

P-34

Remarkable. Just look at his hands. What control - subtle, confident, unflustered - truly a great driver. Somewhere, I have some 8mm footage of this car at the Glen in '77 or '78.

Gordon.
    Gordon

I'd like to see some of the aids that they utlize today taken off the cars. Notice him doing his own "match revs" downshifting and even using a real shifter. The new cars are Nintendos on steroids. Hold on and drive. The car will do the rest for you.

Like the drummer I (was) want all the appendages in the mix.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Great in car footage! Particularly Depailler at the LB/USGP.

Interesting too how open the cockpit of the 6 wheel Tyrell is when viewed from above. What do you think the bar above the drivers feet was - strut brace?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garfield View Post
    What do you think the bar above the drivers feet was - strut brace?
    Anti-roll bar. There is a nice shot of it and the linking hardware to each suspension assembly in John's images.

The overhead camera provides a nifty perspective.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

I haven't really had time to read up on the changes in F1 for '09. I think they are trying to reduce downforce and some other things to make the driver a bigger part of the equation. This is supposed to be an 'interim' car doing some testing. A bit awkward looking ....

WARNING: Shocking Shots of 2009 F1 Car?

F1 continues to bore me...I long for the days prior to the spec racing of today...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    F1 continues to bore me...I long for the days prior to the spec racing of today...
    I have to agree with Peter here and for me, it's likely due to the era in which I became caught up in the sport. I casually read of Grand Prix racing in R&T, Sports Car Graphic, etc. beginning in the early 60's, and then as a G.I., was able to attend both Spa in '66 and Monaco in '67 (at each race, Grand Prix was being filmed), both of which were quite memorable experiences and quickly branded me as a semi-fanatic. Back in those days you could get up quite close to nearly everyone in the Circus; I chatted with Pedro Rodriguez in a Monaco garage basement (they worked wherever they could find space), he in a white silk shirt, black gabardine slacks and alligator shoes, hair slicked back and dark sunglasses, I in jeans and a T-shirt, while he was being fitted for the seat in his Cooper Maserati 3ltr V12. He couldn't have been more friendly or care-free. Pedro finished ninth, while Denny Hulme won and then went on to the World championship. Unfortunately, Lorenzo Bandini later succumbed to injuries received in the race; the casualty toll in those days was horrendous. The F3 support race featured an interesting cast of "future stars":Jean-Pierre Jabouille, Patrick Depailler, Henry Pescarolo, Giis Van Lennep, Peter Gethin and Derek Bell. My little pin-backed metal painted disc, which served as a ticket (about five bucks) was imprinted "Circulaire", which essentially meant that I could park myself anywhere EXCEPT in a grandstand seat (I was authorized to "circulate"). My friend and I squeezed through a chain-link fence surrounding a new hotel construction, climbed the newly poured concrete stairs to the top floor and perched ourselves on the edge, as there were no walls yet constructed. For $5 we had ourselves a bird's eye view of the start finish line! We could see the exit of the tunnel, then down past the swimming pool as they then approached the hairpin and mostly opposite lock as they re-entered the main straight. Great Stuff! After the race, my friend and I were enjoying a Pernod at a nearby corner sidewalk bar, when, to our astonishment, Jack Brabham, heading for the transport parking on the edge of the city, tooled through the intersection in his Grand Prix car! I have a photo of it with a traffic Gendarme in the background, waving Jack through the traffic like he was in a Renault Dauphine.

After an experience like that at 21, is it any wonder that I can take or leave today's F1?

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279