Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '65 911 project

'65 911 project

This car belongs to my brothers boss. I am trying to sell it for him.
    I can get the car for $18,000.
    I would like a $1,000 finders fee for my troubles.

Matching numbers, rust free, collission free car.
    Chassis number 301802
    Engine number 901909
    Paint code 6410 (Special order Delphin Grey)

Engine professionally rebuilt 10 years ago, never had oil added
    Transmission professionally rebuilt 10 years ago, same
    Solexs professionally rebuilt 10 years ago
    Konis factory rebuilt 10 years ago
    Nearly all mechanicals are rebuilt or NOS

Window frames rechromed
    Four screw horn grilles rechromed
    Bumperettes rechromed
    Wheels rechromed
    Hubcaps rechromed
    New heat exchangers jet coated
    New muffler jet coated
    Date correct guages are in excellent cosmetic condition

NOS headlights (try to find those) Thought stolen, but now found
    NOS front turn signal assembly w/lens, other 3 corner markers were stolen some time ago, have originals

Tub disassembled and painted 6407 (Signal Red)

As is will make an ideal driver for someone with the mechanical ability to put it all together.

Or, redo the tub concours back to 6410 and build a showcar.

Great winter project.

Seperately the parts are worth more than the sum.

The car is in San Bernardino, California

Scott Turnbull
    909-963-8544
    res0ca5d@charter.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Available again, deal fell through

It's available again, buyer thought it too much for him to deal with.

buyer be aware of these sellers attitude

I was the 2nd buyer for this car ("Nick" the first one, app. his deal fell through again, twice) and had a deal w/ Scott and Emil the owner, and was about to send $5K down. I will keep this further off line but feel free to contact me. It was my first unpleasant / low key experience on this list. The good thing is that I was able to give it furher thoughts so although ethical not correct do I hold not hard feelings to the seller(s).

Re. the car itself, pay attention to the shock towers. It has a funny weld and it might or might not be OEM.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    I was the 2nd buyer for this car ("Nick" the first one, app. his deal fell through again, twice) and had a deal w/ Scott and Emil the owner, and was about to send $5K down. I will keep this further off line but feel free to contact me. It was my first unpleasant / low key experience on this list. The good thing is that I was able to give it furher thoughts so although ethical not correct do I hold not hard feelings to the seller(s).

Re. the car itself, pay attention to the shock towers. It has a funny weld and it might or might not be OEM.

Richard
    Richard,

Really sad that this stituation worked out as it has.... I know you tried hard to make this work. I wish I could have helped.

regards,
    Eric

My apologies

Yes, this worked out stinko.

My apologies to both Nick and Richard, both of whom I managed to piss off and both of whom decided they didn't really want the car anyway.

I'll try to get to the bottom of the shock tower welds.

Scott

It was I that drove 5 hours each way with my trailer and a cashier's check and decided not to bring the car home. There were no major problems with the car, just a lot of little things that were adding up in my mind. Still a great rust free project for someone who wants a driver on the cheap(if you have lots of free time for assembly) or a future show car after a parts hunt. I was looking to do something in the middle and decided to keep looking. Even on the way home I had some regrets about not buying it and doing a vintage ralley car but that's spilled milk now. I have no hard feelings towards Scott or Emil and believe them both to be trustworthy. Emil doesn't really know early Porsches and when Scott saw it the car was burried so he could not cover all the details. In addition to Scott's description above, I'll add my 2 cents for what they might be worth to other buyers.

No rust could be found. There appeared to be some filler in the drivers rocker but the car was painted 10+ years ago so I doubt it was covering rust. The bottom of the drivers rear dog leg has a decent dent in it, common from jacking or road debris. The front cross member is pretty much collapsed in one area from jacking or ? No rust in it though. The gas tank area of the pan is pretty tweaked from the dolly arrangement used to move it around. Might be possible to push, pull, and tug this are straight depending on the desired results. There was a minor repair done to the lower left corner of the front bulkhead. Shock towers have seen some mig welding. No signs of accident damage so ??? The side and bumper trim was updated at some point, will need all new. Front bumper guards missing. No windshield, no license panel(Scott disclosed this before I came out). Rear decklid had been updated to later lettering. You could still see where the slanted 911 went so presumably this was the original lid. All holes in the lid were filled with bondo. You will need to source the correct emblems) Shift lever is wasted. Door glass was neglected during the re-paint so plan on some time getting all of the paint and primer off of those. Wing window trim was not re-chromed but appeared serviceable. I didn't see the rear quarter glass but the frames were present with new chrome. Rear grill in pretty good shape, that and the alloy window trim could use some straightening and anodizing. Guages removed and stored, looked pretty good. All other dash components were pretty rough, even for a driver. No dash could be found. The new components were the 2 headlight covers, 1 signal, and the rest were some minor suspension bits. All new rubber will be required. The painter did not remove the old adhesive for the rubber before painting so that will be fun should the buyer decide to keep the paint. Steering wheel had a couple of splits in it so that will need full attention as well. 4 chrome wheels and jack included. No other tools or books(asside from a factory service manual). I don't recall seeing the interior rear view mirror. All seats are present and need restoration, no carpet or rubber mat. 3 headliner bows present. All of the small parts are in about 5 boxes and not particularly organized or labeled so I could not account for every last small part but tried to look for the more obvious stuff. That's just one man's recollection, you should do your own due diligence before buying.

Since this car belongs to somebody twice removed from our community, I don't feel bad saying that this price seems pretty ambitious. It's a '65, but not one of the very early cars. It's comepletely apart and will never be concours thanks to the quantity of odd welding described and pictured. It's not complete. It needs paint and body. It seems like $10k would be a gift, and would only be worth that because all of the rust repair has presumably been done already.

Just my 2 cents.
    1951 pre-A 356 (SOLD)
    1972 911T in "no-resale brown"

Matt can you be more specific and tell us why Scott was removed from this community twice? I (thought that I) had bought this car in good faith and for future sake I would appreciate this kind of information.

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

I think he means something similar to a first cousin twice removed. As in he's selling this for his brother's boss.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

OK. I get the idea, I took it literally.

Richard