Thread: 911 T Fan Shroud Colors

911 T Fan Shroud Colors

Hi

Can anyone tell me the difference in 911T fan shroud colors. I believe some were black and some were yellow.
    Cheers

Paul

Early911S member #1398

50 356 Cab
    57 356 Carrera
    61 356 Roadster
    73 RS #0073
    79 930 Turbo
    93 3.8RSR

The 73T MFI shroud is yellow . . .
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

1968/69 2.0 911T = Weber Carbs = Black shroud
    1970/71 2.2L 911T = Zenith Carbs (some Webers as well aparently) = Black Shroud
    1972/73 2.4L ROW 911T = Zentih Carbs = Black Shroud
    1972/73 2.4L USA 911T = MFI = Yellow Shroud
    1973.5 2.4L USA = CIS = ?? I've heard black, but had an early 73.5 that had a yellow one?

Regards,
    Andrew M

Many thanks for your input.
    Trying to settle an argument with 'know it all' friend.
    Cheers

Paul

Early911S member #1398

50 356 Cab
    57 356 Carrera
    61 356 Roadster
    73 RS #0073
    79 930 Turbo
    93 3.8RSR

I've had a couple of CIS T's, and seen a bunch more. They all came with black showing as the fan shroud color, but some of them had black paint on a yellow shroud.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

OK - that's some verification as my 73.5 T was the 11th produced and also had black paint over a yellow shroud. Maybe the yellow shrouds were left over from MFI'd cars.
    AM

Exactly. I have a mid-year 73T with black trim which came with the MFI. Probably just prior to the CSI units. Porsche did not do clean break transitions/updates, but pieced the process by using up parts inventory.
    My 73 Carrera RS was #376 and was considered a first 500 series car, with lightweight panels. The number of RSs weighed for homolegation was far less then the first 500. Oddly enough Porsche had enough lightweight parts to last through 900 or so. Also, the production and numbering sequence was not in sync. Porsche sent cars to be weighed that were transformed into touring configuration once back at the factory. #376 had the regular carpet replacing the Perlon, touring door panels. electric windows and a sunroof cut in. There is a numerical index that tracks the upgrade/evolutionary improvements thru all 1500plus RSs.
    John Tolin, who restored a couple of national concourse first place RSs, went to the factory to see how the cars were assembled and the Germans could not understand what was the big deal about all this. Anyway.....
    Duane Hyatt

Quote Originally Posted by 2pt767S View Post
    My 73 Carrera RS was #376 and was considered a first 500 series car, with lightweight panels. The number of RSs weighed for homolegation was far less then the first 500. Oddly enough Porsche had enough lightweight parts to last through 900 or so. Also, the production and numbering sequence was not in sync. Porsche sent cars to be weighed that were transformed into touring configuration once back at the factory. #376 had the regular carpet replacing the Perlon, touring door panels. electric windows and a sunroof cut in. There is a numerical index that tracks the upgrade/evolutionary improvements thru all 1500plus RSs.
    John Tolin, who restored a couple of national concourse first place RSs, went to the factory to see how the cars were assembled and the Germans could not understand what was the big deal about all this. Anyway.....
    Hi Duane,

I can't resist asking, do you have any documents that show the 'numerical index' that was used. That would be interesting to see.

One easy way to distinguish an RS that went through the homologation process is to look at the inside of the doors with the panels removed. If it began life as an RSH model and then converted into an M472 model there will be unique screw holes for the lightweight panels and plastic handles placed for the weigh in before conversion.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Hi Brian,
    My reference according to the Carrera RS book, was to the fact that the RSH was the baseline car for homologation and after weigh-in, returned to the factory for conversion to customer specifications. My assumption was that they were then completed for delivery after their return. Very few RSH versions left the factory unconverted. I just figured the production date listed crossed actual completion/delivery dates somewhere along the way. As you know, there were many subtle differences incorporated through the production run which could have impacted deliveries. I hadn't looked at the book in a while since I don't have #376 any more I now have happiness with my 73T, which I drive with less fear of getting clobbered in an intersection
    Duane Hyatt