Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: colour below rockers, black or body?

colour below rockers, black or body?

Hi to all detail -maniacs! (I hope there are any!)

When looking at 911s from the side on some pictures I can see the part below the body rockers in body colour and on others I see it black.

Is there a logic behind it? How where the different model years originally?
    Especially I am interested in my car's year, may 1972, 911S.

Was that part of the underbody kept in body colour or was it covered with black?

Thank you

Andreas

color

my 72 rockers are body color.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Andreas on a 66 its black undercoating (body color underneat). About 4 cm wide in total.

Richard

1972 911 paint

Andreas,
    Photos of 1972. Original paint? I think so.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

the plot thickens

now i'm wondering,
    my 72 had a crappy repaint.
    they didn't even pull the side trim!
    you can see the original paint that was under the trim.
    (sorry about photo quality)
    no evidence of black paint on the rocker.
    lkreg i see the black paint on the floorpan.
    mine was painted over, can't comment.
    but do you know what's under the trim?
    any other opinions? i am by no means certain.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

duh!

i just realized the question was color BELOW the rocker.
    that is black, rocker is obviously body color.
    sorry.
    but.. i thought 72 wheel wells were black.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

thank you bob, richard and lkreg,

on my car there is the wide alu trim, and underneath the rocker is body colour.

I am interested in 4-6 cm wide strip below the rockers, this is actually part of the floorpan.
    So this part is usually covered with undercoating for protection purposes.
    I have seen this black on several cars but I have seen this sometimes also in body colour, as for example in pictures of P. Morgans book on 911s.
    Then I know for sure that 73 year models have undercoating and engine compartment in body colour.
    The 72 model year has engine room black, but I am not sure about the undercoating.

On Lkregs car I can see the orange colour on the floorpan near the suspension, but I also see black paint there. I see the part below the rockers painted black but not the wheel arch area which remains orange. Who applied the black paint , the factory or some repairshop later?

Have a good day
    Andreas

The tangerine car is mine. It is actually a 73, and it is original paint. The factory painted the lower longitudinals black, and continued the line into the wheel wells, as you can see in the photos. The area behind the horn grilles is painted black, too.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

It may have varied by paint color and year...

This is a concours '73 RS with paint on the bottom edge of the rockers as well as longitudinals.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Not shure Morgan's book is a sound source as its does not state if cars are partially restored or factory original.
    Registry member No.773