Thread: 2 oil connections to oil tank on '68

2 oil connections to oil tank on '68

I'm pulling the motor/trans out of my '68, and my last stumbling block other than the two engine mount bolts and two tranny mount bolts before dropping the motor/trans is the two oil lines that connect to the oil tank.

I ordered the "correct" Porsche oil fitting wrenches, but don't have them yet. I have a combination wrench that I adjusted to fit the smaller 32mm fitting (wrench doesn't adjust big enough for the rear fitting). Well, I yanked on this nut pretty good, and it didn't move.

I'm worried about ripping the fitting right out of the tank when I get the "real" tools and retry all this and apply more force. Are these threaded fittings soldered or welded to the tank?? I guess we know why Porsche switched to hose clamp fittings on the later 911's.....

I did spray some PB Blaster on both fittings for now, and will continue to soak them until my wrenches show up. I am guessing that and some propane torch heat on the nut should do it?

Thanks for any tips. I don't want to f* up my oil tank.

You really need the correct wrenches but it will still be a pain. You have to get creative on removing them sometimes I use two pipes over the line wrenches to get more leverage. On rare occasions I have had to heat up the fitting which I will then replace that line...
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
    I'm pulling the motor/trans out of my '68, and my last stumbling block other than the two engine mount bolts and two tranny mount bolts before dropping the motor/trans is the two oil lines that connect to the oil tank.

I ordered the "correct" Porsche oil fitting wrenches, but don't have them yet. I have a combination wrench that I adjusted to fit the smaller 32mm fitting (wrench doesn't adjust big enough for the rear fitting). Well, I yanked on this nut pretty good, and it didn't move.

I'm worried about ripping the fitting right out of the tank when I get the "real" tools and retry all this and apply more force. Are these threaded fittings soldered or welded to the tank?? I guess we know why Porsche switched to hose clamp fittings on the later 911's.....

I did spray some PB Blaster on both fittings for now, and will continue to soak them until my wrenches show up. I am guessing that and some propane torch heat on the nut should do it?

Thanks for any tips. I don't want to f* up my oil tank.
    Yes, they are soldered to the tank so don't apply too much heat and apply it only to the nut. You can, if necessary, take one off the engine and one the other off the tank, and work for there..to get the engine out. For the fittings where there are nuts on both sides, the proper wrenches will enable you to apply force only to the fittings and not the oil cooler, so you won't damage that. They can be on tight. On the tank, use the heat, heat and try, let cool, try it a few times, take your time, don't get over anxious. It will come off.

-Allen-
    PS I bet you you have an extra fitting on your tank for a sportomatic hook up

Allen, thanks for the tips. I will just take this slow and use heat and PB and some tapping and they should come off.

Talked to Stoddard today and I should have my oil line wrenches by Friday or Saturday. Maybe even Wednesday.

And yes, there are two strange plugs in my oil tank! And yes, they both leak and need to be sealed up better!

Update, a little PB Blaster soaking and the right wrenches and the fittings cracked right off! Thanks for the tips.

Got the oil tank out, boy is that thing dirty....

Hey Fritter and all...

I'm on the same mission - and damn - those things are on there to stay. As I am a bit of a newbie at this - and don't have the 'correct' P-wrenches, I'm hoping that some PB Blaster and leverage will do the deal. How important is the heat thing - and it appears to me that if they are braised inside the tank, I'm risking doing more damage than good with the application of heat!

My oil scavenger line is shot and has to come off - the oil cooler line appears to be leaking as well. I'll go get bigger tools in the morning, but any more 'idiot relevant' advice will certainly be appreciated. fr'instance, where there is two nuts on the oil tank, I'm assuming that I hold the inside nut while 'lefty loosie' on the outer nut???

thanks all...

tom

67 normale, steelies, 4 spd

Yes, lefty loosie is correct. I just soaked mine in PB for a week or so and then they came off with the right "big" wrenches. A little heat from a propane torch directly on the nut would not hurt to expand things a little, just don't overdo it or the brazing on the tank could be affected. Oh, and since you are replacing your lines, you don't have to worry about melting those....