Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Harris's 911

Chris Harris's 911

Some of you may have followed the build of this weapon when Chris worked and wrote for the UK's Autocar magazine...

For those of you that didn't behold...

For your viewing enjoyment over the holiday season.

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...d8&area=videos

OMG!
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

I wonder why (and you must too, if you read Excellence) so many people build the "perfect 911" to the tune of $70,000-$125,000, and then sell it within a year of completion? It seems to happen over and over again. I can understand it if someone did the work, and the journey was its own reward, etc. but the guys like Chris Harris that paid for all the work to be done, and then to just punch it out? I wonder if they knew all along, or if they thought they'd be keeping the car forever.

Wink Selling....

Chris Harris wrote for GT Porsche magazine in the UK for several years and regularly reported on the cars he owned, each time for a very short period, GT3, GT2 993, GT2 996, Turbo etc.... He then embarked on this project where money was basically no object...

In the end, I think he must have spent well over USD 150.000 for a car which he built exactly to his taste but which never truly satisfied him.

I think he knew from the start that he wouldn't keep it for a long time. Chris Harris likes to change and mostly the thrill of a "new" car.

I'm curious to know how much he's selling it for in this market.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

old softie67S

Redline

Anyone know what engine is that car. I surprised it was not a 7200 rpm tach. Is it a later large displacement power plant.

The quality of the car and video is outstanding. Poetry in motion. If you haven't clicked on the link, you should.

I have to laugh at the young kids in their ricers thinking they invented drifting. I do not think so!!!
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

It's a 3.4, but I'm sure how he got there.

Milou,

For many, its the journey and not the destination. The satisfaction comes from the planning, sourcing, problem solving, and improving. The finished product can almost be an after thought. Sell it and let the journey begin anew.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    Milou,

For many, its the journey and not the destination. The satisfaction comes from the planning, sourcing, problem solving, and improving. The finished product can almost be an after thought. Sell it and let the journey begin anew.
    Amen! My feeling exactly.
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

Wink Indeed

Yes indeed, I can understand that.

Finding rare parts, following progress, deciding on color, interior, engine spec, and finally seeing and driving the finished product.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=s%2Ft

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=member

I've done it twice so far and really enjoyed it, as much as owning the cars. But it would be difficult for me to sell either cars!

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com