Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy (video) of a 911ST tarmac rally car

Anatomy (video) of a 911ST tarmac rally car

in response to several requests for some more info and pics of the car detailed in this thread

i did a little video walkaround today, the results of which are here

hope you like it. scorcese i'm not...
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Very nice thanks for sharing.

Maybe some of the other guys out there could also do 'walk arounds' of their early 911s?

It gives a great perspective of a car that a photo series can never capture.

Ryan:

Great job with the "walk-around". But it makes me want to see and know more details. Show us more of how you did the doors, and where did you source the rear flares to make them 2" wider than an RS?

I really like the overall look of the car....very period and competition worthy.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

What a great idea. Video adds more detail.

Love your car. Your rallye videos are fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

gib,

the car had previously had RS flares fitted. we then made a semicircular cut from just above to torsion bar hole to just above the rear lights. the cut was a few inches back from the outer lip. the outer part of the guard was then pulled outwards by 2 inches to widen the flare. a piece of metal was then welded in the close the opening.

i'm really happy with how it came out as it:
    1. covers the 9" rear wheels (which are the widest i can run)
    2. retains the original lip/edge detail
    3. is not too hard to reverse, and
    4. is a very good match to the front flares (which are moulded from a real 2.8RSR)

i'll try and shoot a little piece on the windows for you.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Gib,

A quick rundown on the door setup is here
    Cheers, Ryan

Ryan:

Thanks for the details on your work. I really like the door/window treatment. I agree, it is an improvement over the original arrangement. I have thought about doing the "slice and paste" method of widening RS flares, but just didn't go ahead with it. Your work proves it can be done well and it looks very authentic. Great work. Thanks for the You Tube video...I will have to learn how to do that....I am a generation back from all that kind of thing.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Ryan, happy New Year. Thanks for the video and as I have said before, your car is stunning. The Sampson livery has got to be on my list of favorites. Seeing some of the details on your car in the vid has given me some ideas for my car, thanks.

One thing I noticed immediately was your lexan window/door setup. Gib beat me to the question and thanks for the video reply. I have the R setup in my lightweight and a couple of the things that nag at me are exactly what you described. I like the pull idea at the top of the window as I have a problem pulling up my window when it is in the full down position. My only gripe with that is that there is a portion of the window above the door that would dig into your arm when you rest it on the door sill. What is your experience with that?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

gib - my pleasure. i think the trick with widening flares this way is to leave a couple of inches uncut at either end (ie. above the torsion bar hole and above the lights) and slowly work out the cut section.

scott - thanks. i have my seat set very low for helmet clearance and can't really rest my arm on the door sill. plus i have removed the upper door pad. however, if you used a piece of right angle section on the top edge of the lexan and set it with the horizontal part flush with the top edge of the window you could get the lexan completely down and still prevent it from falling in.
    Cheers, Ryan

Lexan

Hi Ryan and Scott,

How easily does your Lexan scratch over a period of time? I have heard that Lexan will scratch and need replacement after a couple of years. Or does it hold up well if you keep the Lexan surface clean enough?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167