Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeler - High Rise Butterfly intake production

New owner, The Race Line

Feeler - High Rise Butterfly intake production

Hey there everyone,

I wanted to get a feel for the interest level of a High Rise Intake setup?

These are in the early stages of development but look to be very promising, I am not sure what the cost is going to work out to yet, but again I just wanted to try to judge the interest level on these.

Any questions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple of pics for you.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Erik Johnson
    Carquip Sales
    (303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
    (720) 980-9407 cell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interest will be high, tempered by cost (obviously). At $4500 and they'd sell like hotcakes. $6500 would be a lot tougher. The economy's effect on high ticket niche items shouldn't be underestimated either. Nonetheless, these are the ticket for big overlap cams!

I figure that the market for these would make it hard to amortize out tooling up for die casting. A purely CNC process would work out, but this would limit the market due to high labor cost. Lost wax investment casting for small runs should be the most doable since the shapes aren't that complex and would also limit the post process machine work.

Very nice looking work; I certainly hope this project comes to light.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

One other thought on keeping down costs: the trumpets are probably a good candidate for RIM molding (Reaction Injection Molding) since the runs will be small. This allows you to use aluminum tooling which is much cheaper to build than the steel molds needed for big injection molding runs. Not to mention that the resins used in RIM are incredibly thermally stable. Another option, albeit not original, would be to make the trumpets from spun aluminum. I bought a set for my car (in stock height at 52mm diameter) for a few hundred bucks.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

New owner, The Race Line
    Thanks for the input. Please keep the ideas, thoughts and questions coming. I did a bit of research and the only other set that I have see available it selling for, can you believe this? $14,500.

That seems very expensive and in discussion we hope to be able to offer these for far less.

I think that this could be a really good alternative to the really expensive pieces that are out. Another nice thing is that we can build these to any diameter you would like, so even though these are typically on big cam big HP engines, if you like the look and say want a set for a 2.0L setup, we should be able to help with that too.

I am really looking forward to getting a set on my 69 T and seeing what they look like and if there is a performance difference.

I will keep you all posted as we move forward.

Thanks all

Erik Johnson
    Carquip Sales
    (303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
    (720) 980-9407 cell

The Chinese can make anything if you make it very clear what you want as an "end product".
    Personally, I don't see any need for old school stuff like this when the EFI systems will basically walk all over them; that is to say, unless you plan to make them operate with EFI injection.

Good luck,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Consider me interested ...

John

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    The Chinese can make anything if you make it very clear what you want as an "end product".
    Personally, I don't see any need for old school stuff like this when the EFI systems will basically walk all over them; that is to say, unless you plan to make them operate with EFI injection.

Good luck,

Tom
    I disagree Tom. Using the same logic, why is there a need for old 911's when a new Corrola or Civic will outrun most of them.

I would be interested, but honestly only for the aesthetics. The question then is whether I can justify the cost purely for aesthetics. Is there a tangible benefit to high butterfly's over a pair of bored out standard stacks?

One dilemma that comes up in my mind is what happened with the Cibie lamps. I have a set of originals that I was going to put on my car, yet now that the high quality repros are flooding the market at such a low price and all the cool kids have them...I no longer want them They no longer have the cache' that they did a year ago. Same with the RSR steering wheels, fiberglass seats, hockey puck horn buttons, etc etc etc.

The point of my rambling is that if they were made cheap enough for me to justify buying them just for the "wow factor" then they would quickly loose that "wow factor" because every Tom Dick and Harry had them on thier cars.

Does that make sense at all?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Dave, you are right in many respects. I think repro stuff is fine and the fact that every yokel with a few bucks can have them is fine, too. I am keeping my original Cibies on my car because I like them. The repro thing is also why I have been selling all of my rare stuff - someday, someone will make a repro. This is why I sold my sport seats: Stefan is so close to making indiscernible copies, the market will eventually tank.

Bottom line, buy what you like, the rest will take care of itself.

Oh, the benefits of high butterfly:

*Slightly improved tuning for ram air
    *Much better reversion control on high overlap cams

For performance, that's it. Given the availability of more modern cams and valve trains, high overlap cams aren't as necessary as they used to be for high HP/L motors, either. Basically, for less than a high butterfly system, you can get thin stem stainless valves (or even titanium valves w/ beryllium seats) with hot springs and modern cam ramps for the same benefit that high butterfly used to bring.

As you said, it is mainly an esthetic decision these days, but there are those who think this kind of stuff is cool...like me.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post

Good luck,

Tom
    CHINESE ?!?!?

You infidel

I think as long as they are fairly accurate, there will be a market.....I could sell quite a few sets.

Tom...I disgree....EFI (programmable) has it's advantages but I personally think it's way too much screwing around. Give me a distributor and mixture screw any day!!..
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc