Page 67 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

Didn't Keyser run two ST's one was factory built and the other was an S converted to ST spec? I believe he also used it as a Camera car in Speed Merchants.
    The way I understand it is the factory S/T's did start out as S's... And yes, Keyser did have 2, one with the 2.5 race engine (plus a spare 2.5 engine), and the second, the camera car, with a 'stock' 2.4S engine...

Cheers,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Fubawu View Post
    Didn't Keyser run two ST's one was factory built and the other was an S converted to ST spec? I believe he also used it as a Camera car in Speed Merchants.

Keyser had two 1972 cars

One was 9112300538 which was one of a small run (2nd of 21) of almost identical factory built 2.5 M491 customer cars ( a forerunner of the purpose built RS/RSR series the next year rather than S's converted off a wish list of homologated parts as in previous years)

The other was 9112301139 which was a "lightweight S" ie a S but with the lightweight (M471) option which included seats door panels carpet etc which was available over a number of years but is probably more known as one of the trim options for RS's.

That was collected at a dealer (Max Moritz) who installed ST flares but left the engine and other things intact. So it had a stock S engine etc and was used initially as a road car and camera car and recce car for Targa Florio etc but the other car (0538) had a fully modified 2.5 M491 engine and drive train etc from the production line and was built as a race car not a road car.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Keyser had two 1972 cars

One was 9112300538 which was one of a small run (2nd of 21) of almost identical factory built 2.5 M491 customer cars ( a forerunner of the purpose built RS/RSR series the next year rather than S's converted off a wish list of homologated parts as in previous years)

The other was 9112301139 which was a "lightweight S" ie a S but with the lightweight (M471) option which included seats door panels carpet etc which was available over a number of years but is probably more known as one of the trim options for RS's.

That was collected at a dealer (Max Moritz) who installed ST flares but left the engine and other things intact. So it had a stock S engine etc and was used initially as a road car and camera car and recce car for Targa Florio etc but the other car (0538) had a fully modified 2.5 M491 engine and drive train etc from the production line and was built as a race car not a road car.
    assuming that we have the values ​​for a S / T 100% preparation. What would the 1138 chassis cost to prepare? You comment that you only received a body job. What was worth more in an S / T preparation? Motor or sheet metal preparation? How much would the 2.5 motor cost? I understand you could subtract from what the engine "cost" to what the entire preparation costs and see what value the preparation of the 1138 would have had at the Max dealership. I think.....
    again thank all the information. Until today I thought that black and white images belonged to the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    Until today I thought that black and white images belonged to the factory.
    The black and white images are of the factory like this one - are of 0538 being built as I understand it. There is a world of difference between one of the 21 factory built M491 race/ rally cars and an S, albeit with a "lightweight interior" option, having some rear quarter panels grafted on at a distributor, not even when it was being first built.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

The black and white images are of the factory like this one - are of 0538 being built as I understand it. There is a world of difference between one of the 21 factory built M491 race/ rally cars and an S, albeit with a "lightweight interior" option, having some rear quarter panels grafted on at a distributor, not even when it was being first built.
    If we start from the image that shows HughH, what difference would it make if we placed a 911S chassis next to it? Starting from the state in which it is in the image, that vehicle would be differentiated by the arches and what else? We understand that there may be debate on whether the front is grp or not but at the point shown in the photo. What differences would there be between the chassis?
    saluds

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    Hello, if your vehicle received "fins", you will also have received a modification in the rear bumpers to adapt them to the fins. Could you tell us how they are built? Are they a part or is it a part built for the car?
    Sorry i missed this,what do you mean by fins.

The front fender in the pic i would say is deff Grp,mine had steel bowl and steel turn signal surround moulded/bonded in,and the gel coat was white.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    Sorry i missed this,what do you mean by fins.

The front fender in the pic i would say is deff Grp,mine had steel bowl and steel turn signal surround moulded/bonded in,and the gel coat was white.
    I to this day and observing the photos from ignorance also think that it is Grp. If it were "metal" I think it would be at the point of the black primer like the rest of the bodywork but on the contrary "white" is observed. I had never stopped to look at the detail of the hub of the lighthouse commented but my opinion is that it is still Grp .... From my humble opinion, with that of the fins I mean. If they widened the car by means of arches (front and rear), the rear bumpers must also have been widened as was the front bumper. The porsche worked these rear bumpers in a specific way or can we find the same welding seams in different S / Ts made by the factory? I hope you understand the question.

I also have another question. In the 538 restoration the Beher radiator placement was given a "not right" angle. I understand, to cool better but to place the radiator that way, the supports had to be modified? I see that the support piece is the one that is straight, in my case, in my car ... The radiator is straight and what is welded to support is what has a curved angle ...
    How did the porsche perform this placement? The way it is presented now in 538 or did you use the original 911S placement?

Name:  beher 9112300538.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  31.1 KB

By lightweight interior do you mean M470 delete? Presumably you mean the 930kg cars are a world of difference from a regular S?

Guys, since the right front fender is missing on the car in the factory shop, it's possible that it was removed to go to another part of the shop to add the flare and remove the fuel filler door....and then prepped with a coating to keep the welds fresh for later final paint. Why else would it be missing? That right front fender was not replaced before the June LeMans race, and it is clear it is a steel fender with the crunch maintaining its shape, and not being just cracked away as a FG fender would have.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17