Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

Smile Ultimate ST thread

Original post.............................
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Raj:

I think Hugh Hodges has one of the best data bases to start this project, but also John Starkey has a good listing. Not sure how it could best be done, but (1)MY, (2)VIN, (3)ownership, and pictures of the various cars that look like STs in competition from period shots, even when very little is known about them, i.e. items (1), (2), or (3), would be a good start. Pictures are probably the best to anchor the data on each car.

There are some real knowledgeable folks who visit this site with interest in STs, so chime on in here.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Ok here goes

There have been a lot of great posts on this board about ST’s, some by current owners providing a lot of detail about their cars.

Also Raj recently provided a great picture on another thread (reproduced here) showing a list of 1972 ST’s including engine numbers in most cases.

Along with the ST’s were some cars apparently known as SR’s with Group 3 or group 4 modifications? It is not at all clear to me how to differentiate them from ST’s given neither were official designations and there were no specific Vin numbers for either – unlike the RS or R - can anyone help on this aspect?

I have heard somewhere that the ST’s were from 1969 to 1971 and the E series 1972 cars were mainly “SR’s”. Maybe someone on the board with more detailed knowledge in this area can help clarify whether there is any truth in this.

To further complicate this area cars were constructed in at least 3 different ways and to lots of different specifications so that there is probably no such thing as a “typical ST”.

The different production methods included:
    1) pulled off the production line and built up as a factory built car in either rallye or track form
    2) built up by a customer team using a standard car and factory supplied options kit
    3) completely built from scratch by a customer team in which case the vin number may not look anything like a “normal ST”

There are also a lot of different claims on how many such cars were produced. I suspect the answer will only be available for factory constructed cars (if then) as the details of all the customer modified cars and cars built up by race teams to comply with group 3 or group 4 homologation papers are likely to never be known.

I have also seen various references to the claim that the werks only ever used these cars in rallye form and left the track versions (both factory produced and otherwise) to customer teams and privateers.

So to a certain extent I suspect that it is a futile exercise to try and catalogue such cars – although that is a great reason for trying to do it here as it is unlikely that a book like the RS book or Starkey's books will be produced due to these ambiguities.

It is also hard to say if one construction method is “more relevant” or “more important” or “more correct” than another – it probably depends more on the actual car and its history than how it originated although there must always be a “premium” – not necessarily in price terms – placed on a factory produced car with appropriate papers. Indeed the 1972 Kremer and Brumos cars are amongst the more “important” or maybe “famous” ST’s and I understand that they are built up by the respective teams from factory kits and base cars rather than Werks constructed race cars..

However to start the ball rolling I will post details of the cars I have in my database. I have collected these over a substantial period of time. I make no claims about the accuracy of the data except to say that as far as possible it has been checked, and the cars with photos of factory letters or similar identification are probably correct. I would welcome any further information to ad to the collective knowledge in this area. A lot of the information has been sourced from books (such as by John Starkey), websites etc and I would like to acknowledge the contribution made by all of those and posters on this and other boards at the start.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

911 030 0001, 0002 and 0003

These were the three werks cars for the 1970 Monte Carlo Rallye.

There are numerous references to their Vin numbers and specifications and that a "further 15 or so ST's were produced" (presumably for the 1970 MY) but i don't have any on factory letterhead.

Trying to stick to the "rules" for this thread suggested by Gib and Raj starting with 0001:
    model year 1970
    Vin 911 030 0001
    registration number ST 5704
    original use - werks rallye car 1970 Monte Carlo for Waldergard / Helmer
    Engine Size: 2.3 Liter
    Horsepower: 250
    Weight: 1900 lbs
    major achievement - winner of 1970 Monte as car 6

I have no competition records post that although it seems that it was used by Siffert as a recce or practice car before the 1970 Targa Florio.
    Photos: car 6 at Monte (x3) and S-T 5704 at Targa (x2)

I have no other information as to what might have happened to it
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

911 230 0921

From Panorama 1/96 P109
    "Info leading to 1972 safety yellow 911 2.5 race car #9112300921, eng
    #6622030, gear box #120016, former IMSA GTU car #51, Johnson-Bozzani
    sponsored, later painted white wired details."

Picture from Mid-Ohio 1973
    Glenn Stazak

911 030 0002

second of 3 werks cars for 1970 Monte
    model year 1970
    Vin 911 030 0002
    registration number ST 5705
    original use - werks rallye car 1970 Monte Carlo for Larrousse / Gelin car #2
    Engine Size: 2.3 Liter
    Horsepower: 250
    Weight: 1900 lbs
    Most Important Race: 2d Overall Monte Carlo 1970
    Developments: Glass Fiber Fenders; Glass Fiber Hood; Glass Fiber Bumpers; First Ever 915 Gearbox; Lightweight Steel Body
    Unique Items: Used Cibie Headlights of a type used in America at the time; REPA seatbelts; WEGU mudflaps; 100 Liter Petrol Tank

(thanks to the Kitchak collection the current owners of the car, for some of the information http://www.toadhallracing.com/toad-022.html )

This car also did, as a werks car:
    RAC 1970 Björn Waldegård/Lars Helmer car 16 (DNF gearbox)
    1970 ACROPOLIS RALLY WALDEGARD / HELMER car 3 (retired broken con-rod after SS4)
    pictures:
    monte car 2
    RAC car 16
    acropolis log book (thanks Thomas)
    current

PS check out the differences in the front guards between the Monte and the RAC - I have no reason to believe that they are not the same car.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Hugh

This is probably a great car to start with-the feature that has always intrigued me about this car are the flares front and rear-the rims seem to be standard affair but car has flares.The photo of most interest to me is the number 6 car with flares in the front and standard affair in the back-there has to be a development reason.Have never gotten a clear answer.Hugh,do we know which is the earliest photo of this car from the factory.

Raj

P.S Hugh i believe there are photos of this car with no flares front or back-early.
    Raj

the Monte photos are the earliest I have seen. I agree it looks a bit strange with flares at the front but not much at the rear. You would not have wanted wide wheels on the snow at the Monte though.
    The photo of Siffert in the car at the Targa seems to show wider flares at the rear, I have always wondered if the video of a tangerine car with white roundels and all wheel arches chopped off that has been posted on this board in a couple of places is of this car - either before or after the photos of Siffert using it

her is one more photo of it at the targa - side on so you cant see much.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

That is a great photo of 911 230 0921 Glenn.
    It is one from Raj's list that I did not have a photo of
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

911 030 002

http://www.rennaire.com/

Restoration of
    Glenn Stazak