Page 70 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

Help! So... to this illustrious group! I've spent a couple of nights reading through but I need help!!

I'm having a 'debate' with the FIA regarding 2.5L engine running in a ST in 1971.

Does anyone have 'in period' photo's or evidence of a 2.5 ST running in 1971 at an international sporting event?

So grateful if anyone does! the Porsche Book seems to refer to this but it other sources I need to back up the case!

Quote Originally Posted by gms View Post
    From Panorama 1/96 P109
    "Info leading to 1972 safety yellow 911 2.5 race car #9112300921, eng
    #6622030, gear box #120016, former IMSA GTU car #51, Johnson-Bozzani
    sponsored, later painted white wired details."

Picture from Mid-Ohio 1973
    Would you know where this chassis is located? The son of the original owner (Dave Helmick) has found the original bill of sale and would like to get in touch with the current owner, if one. Thanks

Mystery S/T

Picture taken in 1975, who’s the driver ?

Name:  5C6435A3-3015-4925-AC5A-FB225D84431A.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  67.1 KB
    ESR Member: #3430
    John-Buffum-1st-Porsche ?

I have a question regarding S / T with side radiator. I notice that in the current restoration of this S / T the weldment on the radiator beher is straight and the radiator sloped. Are there graphic documents where this detail can be observed? Were the radiator supports modified to be able to give that degree of inclination? What benefit does it bring to put it that way?
    Name:  beher 9112300538.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  31.1 KB

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The angle is standard for the radiator placement. These fabricated bar and plate “R” coolers are the model for the production ‘drawn cup’ coolers used from 69 thru 71. The mounting angle is dictated by the S front cooler weld nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have scanned this fascinating thread and couldn't spot the answer to this - it may be there and I am sorry if I have missed it. I wonder if anyone can offer any advice?

I am just about to embark on a major body resto on my March '69 S which went into Werks 1 for Rally bits including a special Nurbeurgring box, tow hook, tool holder on fire-wall among other things that were not production line. I am not sure how to identify if it had a full Rally pack or not, but it does have a Werks1 order number on the Kardex which to date has not being tied in with any factory records. It was a special order UK RHD car by AFN and was used in the '69 and '71 Circuit of Ireland. I am still not entirely sure what I have.

I spotted online a historied S/T with sunroof (which mine has) which was offered for sale back in 2013 and which claimed a lightweight steel body shell from the factory. Given a March '69 car is quite early on in the development, what would be the key panels to check for dimensions - mine has had a real beating over the years and many panels will need to be replaced so I want to get it right. It is a Sports Purpose car, but at what point does a car go from that to an S/T?

Sorry if I am being a bit dim - but this area does not seem to be particularly cut and dried, especially with an early '69 car.

Thanks Matthew

Hi Matthew

From my understanding, given that your car has "had a real beating" and also the exterior panels have all been replaced, I would be looking at the sheet metal forming the rear panel between the passenger area and the engine, the inner rear wheel arch panels and if it is still original the rear floor panels all of which should be thinner than normal if a lightweight car - the approx thickness of metal (likely to vary across the panels) is about 0.6 to 0.7mm the metalwork for the front dash is also likely to be thinner

normally most of the exterior panels would also be thinner but as yours have been replaced it would be impossible to check

The best way to check however is if you can get a copy of the entry for your car in the build book - IF it is a lightweight it will be noted there either as "930kg" or "930kg rallye"

However I suspect that your car might be a bit too early to have one of the lightweight bodies that were initially produced in 1969 but mainly, as I understand it, for use in the 1970 (and 1971) MY cars
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Hi Dave
    I am not certain which ones you mean I have the following out of the Gp4 homologation
    Attachment 527704
    however I also have this list that is easier to read and maybe a bit more pertinent for the bodywork
    Attachment 527705
    and these factory documents about (mainly) the 1972 ST's one of which has part numbers and another covers the "fiberglass issue" in 1972
    Attachment 527706Attachment 527707Attachment 527708Attachment 527709Attachment 527710Attachment 527711Attachment 527712
    Hi HughH! Do you have the circular nr 30? Regards
    Last edited by _gonbau; 09-18-2020 at 05:14 AM.

No sorry I dont

I got all of the ones I have from someone who had them from new as they looked after those cars back in the day. The circulars covered all sorts of things including changes of address so all I can assume is that it probably was not relevant to someone race preparing ST's in period or looking after cars back in those times
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776