Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    Are those numbers that you see on the shock absorber the so-called "patent numbers" for each country? When these shock absorbers are restored, is it normal to paint those numbers black? In my case, they are just sprayed with the Koni Red paint. Did they get erased over time or is it a failed detail in this ST?
    Name:  7824CC38-FA61-4C6F-A70A-556213CFB2B9.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  38.9 KB

Looks like the part # as well as Porsche and Koni Trademarks, production date and Made in Holland to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rostrenner View Post
    Name:  7824CC38-FA61-4C6F-A70A-556213CFB2B9.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  38.9 KB

Looks like the part # as well as Porsche and Koni Trademarks, production date and Made in Holland to me.
    Thanks for the information and detail. I understand then... this is a more current part with "different" numbers or at least that's not what I was referring to.
    and this
    Name:  stt.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  232.6 KB

https://www.rallyislamallorca.com/inscritos.php

Is this car the same as the one in the video? I understand with some changes in time? For example, the Red front shooter appears in the image but not in the video... The electrical cut also changes and in this image the windshield wipers have also disappeared. What is the cause of that?
    +
    Maybe it is the resolution of the images but I would like to ask, in the image of the Isla Mallorca rally... Is one of the cutoff switches missing? The one indicated with an E. How normal is it to act this way on an original ST?
    Name:  as.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  120.4 KB
    Is the number plate in the image corresponding to the ST or is the vehicle that runs in Majorca a replica of the ST? Seeing the name of the driver that appears next to the vehicle, I must understand that he is the owner of the original ST, but due to the changes that I observe in this vehicle, I wonder if the owner has a replica of the original ST or if these images are all the same vehicle...
    +
    The registration of the Mallorcan vehicle does not match the registration of the other video shown on this ST (zh77070) so I am not clear. Is it the same vehicle? Are there different registrations?

+

Name:  ASASAS.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  59.2 KB
    In this image of the restoration we see that it does not have the 2 hole for the cut-off switch... Was it done later? And on the other hand... Was the front window frame replaced due to its condition? I also noticed that in the restoration images the gasoline side door was respected until after interior painting. This, what was it due to?
    Name:  gasolina.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  26.7 KB
    Name:  911ST_Halter07_high_040.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  61.9 KB
    +

and this shoots...
    another ST

"The Porsche 911 ST is a direct sucessor of the first 911, also known as the 901. Only a few of these very rare 911's have been built between 1970 and 1972. Today even Porsche itself doesn't know exacly how many of these special 911's are still in existance!I had the pleasure to shoote this original ST during a production trip with CURVES Magazin to the famous Stilfserjoch in southern Italy."
    Last edited by _gonbau; 01-19-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks for the information and detail. I understand then... this is a more current part with "different" numbers or at least that's not what I was referring to.
    Maybe it is the resolution of the images but I would like to ask, in the image of the Isla Mallorca rally... Is one of the cutoff switches missing? The one indicated with an E. How normal is it to act this way on an original ST?

In this image of the restoration we see that it does not have the 2 hole for the cut-off switch... Was it done later? And on the other hand... Was the front window frame replaced due to its condition? I also noticed that in the restoration images the gasoline side door was respected until after interior painting. This, what was it due to?
    The car in the video has now an different gas tank than on the pictures from Porsche when the car was finished.
    Also, didnīt the hole on the right side come with the 911 SC in -78? Se pictureName:  TH72.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  73.5 KB

There was not much left of the yellow ST before Porsche factory restoration:
    https://newsroom.porsche.com/de/hist...ica-12413.html

I'm wondering about the skinny rear when the car was found....
    Name:  Nr.1 - 2013-03-26 21.03.32.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  104.0 KB
    Claudius

Name:  Screenshot_2023-01-23-17-59-05-784_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  36.3 KB typical charasteristics on 72 s ...?

what feature is this? I had never seen it in any Porsche...much less a 1972 and much less a 1972 ST.

Name:  war.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  46.1 KB

I would also like to ask, attending to some explanations in this forum! Until what moment was the foot rest welded on the assembly line and at what moment did this modification happen once the vehicle was already assembled... Keeping an eye on whether the dead pedal is spot welded or welded .
    Last edited by _gonbau; 01-24-2023 at 02:27 AM.

I would also like to ask, attending to some explanations in this forum! Until what moment was the foot rest welded on the assembly line and at what moment did this modification happen once the vehicle was already assembled... Keeping an eye on whether the dead pedal is spot welded or welded .
    Probably very early. In this video from production in 1973 they start with the complete floorpan and work upwards from there. Giving the tooling they had to spotweld they need
    access from both sides with there gator shaped welding machines, and thatīs only possible I think if itīs done in a certain sequence.
    https://youtu.be/dhqdptVysjE?t=611
    On my 1972 car, even the cover for the gas filler neck is spotwelded. How do you do that if not when the body is being built up from scratch.

I've watched those videos several times! I have seen it again! It never hurts to see it one more time... It would be worth trying to locate the "fake" takes or the cuts that were not edited but were recorded... Maybe one day someone will find something. Regarding what you tell me about welding, you have clarified something that I was still unaware of! I understand then, the S/ts from the factory would all come with spot welding... with the exception of some vehicle that has been modified later, etc... correct?

I donīt have so many pictures of confirmed authentic cars to establish the factory procedure for attaching the dead pedal into the body.
    It looks like the silver metallic 1970 911S lightweight or "ST-light" that appeared on this board had an combination of seam and spotwelds. Se picture:Name:  1970SdeadP.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  192.2 KB
    On another car, which was claimed to be an Kremer ST -72, itīs easy to see that the welds are different. This modification is most likely not done in the factory. Name:  SAM_1038 - Kopia.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  98.3 KB
    Later cars as -72 ST/SR and RSR-73 seems to have only spotwelds. Some RSR-74 looks to have only seemwelds. On some 934 and 935 they have only had spotwelds.
    There are more details that one maybe doesnīt think of at first. As an example, patricks911 enormously impressive replica of the RSR R6 will never come in doubt as an replica, as many details on the bodyshell doesnīt look like the factory ones. To build an truly 100% accurate replica or (a fake car with an original chassi number) you need to build the body from scratch I think. If you know what to look for, it will be hard to hide from all the details.
    Anyway, an original ST is up for sale: https://www.artcurial.com/en/lot-197...3#popin-active
    Whatīs probably bad news is that it was an rallycross car during the -70:ies and it says in the description: In 1977, the Porsche was sold to Sauli Kangas, a Finnish rallycross driver. The following year, Martti Kangas competed in 14 rallycross races held in different European countries, achieving his best result at the Lydden Circuit, at Wootton in England, where he came fourth. In 1979 or 1980, the 911 ST was bought by the Swede Ulf Larsson. It is not known whether he took part in any motorsport events, but in 1982-1983, the car was equipped with four-wheel drive, like nearly all rallycross cars at the time.
    In 1985, Larsson sold the car to Jorma Vilander, who was based in Finland. A photograph of the car with the buyer and seller show that, in addition to its modified transmission, it had a 'Flachbau'-style frontal treatment with a flat bonnet, and a large rear spoiler. Finally, in 1987, it was fitted with a Porsche 935 engine developing 800 bhp. Vilander was still racing the car during the 2008 season, but its aerodynamic equipment was then removed to meet the new regulations introduced in rallycross.

I wonder if itīs maybe one of these cars, and just like the case with the ex Keyser car. What was left of the original car? If I was a buyer that was going to spend 1 million euro on a car, maybe the condition of the car before the restoration is equally as important as after: Name:  50291327_622414254856668_7722868909270892544_o.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  101.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nimba View Post
    The car in the video has now an different gas tank than on the pictures from Porsche when the car was finished.
    Also, didnīt the hole on the right side come with the 911 SC in -78? Se pictureName:  TH72.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  73.5 KB
    Marco has a second 72 S/T that has been modified to FIA standards for use in serious competition events....my old Light Yellow S/T.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Name:  Screenshot_2023-01-23-17-59-05-784_com.android.chrome.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  36.3 KB typical charasteristics on 72 s ...?

what feature is this? I had never seen it in any Porsche...much less a 1972 and much less a 1972 ST.

so far i have seen this reinforcement only on 73 cars