Page 20 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

I have wondered whether Kremer or others used the 7R wheel as a base and then added to the outside to get wider wheels. The 1 inch or so extra backspace would have given quite a wide wheel even though it doesn't look like an 11" Fuch on the outside.

Gib
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Hi Raj

I don't think that is quite correct

I just re-found some information I got from Porsche years ago that might solve this.

From model year 1970 onwards they had an internal order number system for all the cars that specified the car quite precisely. This was the system used between the dealers and the factory. Those of you who were associated with dealers at the time may recall it.

This is my summary of the numbers used. It is a 6 number system, the first three being the model type, then a number for the body type, one for the engine type and the final one for the gearbox type. I believe that this system was introduced for the 1970 modelyear - ie the start of the use of the "911 xxx xxxx" chassis number system.

here is a summary of those used at that time.

Model type
    911 911
    930 930

478 924
    932 924
    928 928
    927 928

Body Type

1 T Coupe
    2 T Targa
    3 E Coupe
    4 E Targa
    5 S coupe
    6 S Targa
    7 Carrera Coupe
    8 Carrera Targa

Engine type

1 T
    2 E
    3 S
    4 Carrera
    5 Turbo

Gearbox type

1 4 Speed
    4 5 Speed
    5 Sportomatic

so an RS would be 911 744: 911,Carrera Coupe,Carrera,5 Speed
    a 911S targa 4 speed would be 911 631
    and yours is 911 534; 911, S coupe, S,5 Speed
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Ready for the Hunaudičres manu72S's Avatar
    Raj

What was the color of Max Moritz ST ?

Is there a color picture somewhere ?

thanks
    Manu

Raj

I don't know if there were any special extra designations for RSR etc in the order code, I suspect not. The information I have seen is the full list of orders from Australia over a 5 year or so period including RSR's which were in the RS code list. That period also covered at least one real factory built ST and there was no special order code to distinguish it. I think an RSR would be a conversion number or option number of an RS ie 911/744 option M491.

As to ST's I suspect that they were either 911/134 if based on a T shell or more likely 911/534 if based on an S shell and then possibly with a option number M471 or M491 or something else to designate the pack of options including a "hot engine" that turned a street car into a race ready car.

I know we have been trying to work out how early M491 was used as the "Race configuration" option but there must be something to designate the use of a "66x" or "69x" engine rather than a "63x" one in the earlier cars. I know that 911 230 0495 is shown as having option M491 and a "66x" engine but I am not sure if I have an earlier instance. Before then I have seen the use of M471 which seems to indicate a "66x" engine, ie in your car.

On specific ST's I know the 1972 Monte cars were delivered to the testing department without engine and gearbox and they were coded Type 911534=911S Coupe. However there is no option code to distinguish that they are different from a normal S. In fact the distinguishing factor is that they are "no options" cars, as are the first RSR's.

I can understand RS0012 being called a 911/544 as it was based on a 1972 "S" shell rather than a 1973 RS shell and the letter from the factory that I have a copy of states that chassis numbers 11, 12 13 and 14, being the prototypes RS's, have designation 911/544 while the series production cars have designation 911/744.

I suspect even R1 and R2 might be 911/544 cars as they were based on 1972 shells with oil doors so are obviously not 1973 RS shells. I would expect the order code for R2 to be 911/544 option 491.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by manu72S View Post
    from Le Mans Classic 2008

I have another pictures more accurate if it is necessary.

Manu
    Anyone else notice they put the front hood latches on backwards?

Ready for the Hunaudičres manu72S's Avatar
    I think I have caught an another picture about the other side

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Could this be the photo of the original ST.Notice the little gizmo on the top passenger side front wind shield.It's the only car i have seen this on.Gib posted the black and white photo.

Raj
    Raj, that's a garage door opener.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I recently had some belts made and my source sewed on some patches that appear to be factory original for 911 STs. Does anyone have an original set with these patches on them, or know whether these were authorized by the factory?
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    I recently had some belts made and my source sewed on some patches that appear to be factory original for 911 STs. Does anyone have an original set with these patches on them, or know whether these were authorized by the factory?
    Gib, I don't think those patches are orignal. Repa would not have used a Porsche crest on one of their tags and I rather doubt they made a version that was specifically a "ST Model". The style of the crest is also not period. Factor in the Federal Safety statement and such....Looks to me like it's a recently made ficticious label. It's also quite possible if your source is in the business of making seat belts regularly then, it is their way of conforming to DOT, hence the Federal Safety statement. In that case that label might correspond to their "model" of belt so to speak.

All of the REPA labels I've seen for various Marques were all very similar and in line with what you would find on the stock Porsche belts. They also had a part numbering system that had a similar format across their lines as well.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael:

You are right! I checked with my belt maker and he said they use old cotton to give them a vintage look. If I had just thought about it, I would have known they weren't real with the 'Federal' reference. But they look pretty neat....and anything that says 911 ST is a little mesmerizing....

Gib
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17