Page 64 of 95 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate ST thread

Quote Originally Posted by jmz View Post
    Is this a different one than the one Don Ahearn recently shared on instagram?

Jay
    I don't "do Instagram" so I don't know but it might be
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Jay
    I don't "do Instagram" so I don't know but it might be
    Same registration number so yes.

High, even the early widebody photos show an antenna. What factory light weight ST came with an antenna?

I cant recall seeing one ... but that does not mean that the panel the antenna was installed in was not a thin one. As we often say you can never sat never with these cars - especially around that time. The front end of the car seems to be relatively stock in appearance in the earliest photos.

Also I know that this car below, a 1971 ST, was also a 930kg car and in most early period photos it looks very stock - although it does not have an antenna - but that did change over time as it acquired both wider front and rear flared quarter panels (the "normal' way I would expect an evolution but this was a track car)
    Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  71.9 KB

I think on the car under consideration an important step would be to measure the thickness of the panels - both exterior and major interior ones. That was done with the car I have just posted a photo of above and they were all (I believe) thinner than stock, and generally in line with what I understand lightweight RS ones are. However they were all varying thicknesses even on the same panel, mostly between 0.65mm and 0.99 mm on exterior panels but 1.22mm on floor pan and tunnel. For example the front wings and bonnet varied between 0.67mm and 0.87mm depending on where they were measured and the roof between 0.65 and 0.72mm
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Those stoneguards on the inner lights are BMW 2002 parts

my car which is lightweight 930 kg also came with a right side power antenna vin9110301383 and for Hugh i am still trying to find early history from april 1970 to 1983
    according to 000 it is the only one in silver

Jacques
    finding this original use and owners is part luck and part numbers game - the more data you have the more likely you are able to stumble across something. With 030 1230 luck played a big part because there was a Kardex with a name of the first owner AND he was someone well known in Porsche circles (at least in Europe). Then it is a matter of trawling through all the records and photos etc that are around (or able to be googled) to see if more information can be found. This is where the more data there is the better the chance of finding something. It is also where a board like this can play a big role in finding things as members often have old hard copy data or access to old records (or were there at the time).
    With your car, apart from being delivered via Hahn, i understand there is still no real starting point to search from like a name or registration number. If there is one of these it makes a world of difference.
    I still look out for a silver lightweight looking car (really all lightweight looking cars :-) ) when I trawl through photos like I have been in the past few weeks. Unfortunately many are B&W which makes it even harder.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Thanks Hugh, all are possibilities. My first thought was
    bending rules on entry. Another would be swapping engines depending on classification. Great share! Looking forward to following! Was this car found in Europe?
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

Quote Originally Posted by jmz View Post
    Is this a different one than the one Don Ahearn recently shared on instagram?
    It is the same car. I have to thank Hugh for all of the help he has generously given with the research on the history. His knowledge on the ST is second to none. The car was originally built as a group 4 fat fender ST and seems to be a carbon copy of the Werks cars that year. I think the original owner basically said "I will take one of those..." as he was racing against them at the time. It also seems to be a twin to the original Brumos car and was built right before that one.

The car was fitted out to look like an S in 71 to compete in Group 3. Either Rack was out gunned or wanted an advantage in Group 3. I do not know for sure. This could have been what saved it as car was purchased by an American in the late 70's as an old 911 and used as a road car in Germany, then shipped back to the States. Finally it was parked around 1983 in his barn in Nebraska. Obviously he did not know how important of a car he had. It was bought recently by a flipper who realized it may be something special. I was fortunate enough to get the call. I bought it knowing it was special however I did not know to what extent. Once I had seen the images I was thrilled.

The car today is complete and in as good of condition you could hope to find an ST that was used in competition. The tub is completely original with all of the cool little factory modifications. I have a proper pair of original rear flares for it. There are radio wires for the headsets through the front of the car and I suspect the antenna could be for that system. The car was not built with a standard type radio, or perhaps they wanted a radio for tunes or weather.

As far as thin metal goes I am under the impression it was only used for the roof and rear inner panel sections, not the outer panels.

Needless to say I am still very surprised that this car was hidden in a Nebraska barn for almost 4 decades.
    Last edited by Rennman; 06-28-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Nice find. Did it retain its original engine and gear box? Interior?