Thread: Hood Crest Install Help/Advise

Red face Hood Crest Install Help/Advise

Can anyone please provide some advise on how to get the rubber seal to correctly seat on the hood crest... I have tried using HOT/Boiling Hot water and still can not seem to get the seal to lay down flat and correctly....I tried to manipulate the seal while warm with small pics and other small tools ...I have damaged one seal and now need to order a new one...So I am asking for some advise...Thanks for your help...
    Early S #1468

64 356 SC
    70 911 T
    01 996 TT

Do you have a picture to illustrate the problem exactly?
    Do I understand that when you warm the rubber seal, and place the hood badge on, that upon tightening the bolts on the underside, that you have an uneven rubber edge?

I have replaced my hood badge, by heating the rubber using warm water, and then putting on hood, with no apparent problem.
    I tried it cold first in case it worked, but no, mine did need a little expansion.

Perhaps that should have been the 1st step. See if the seal as supplied, would have fit, before heating the seal. Or maybe you did this as well.
    Perhaps just a bad seal.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Lightbulb Hood crest install help

The hood badge gaskets have superceeded.901.559.215.20 the old number supers to a 7l5.853.611b.for some reason the 901's that i purchased from local dealer and stoddard did not fit.the i tried one of the 7l5's fit perfect,job done.i don't know the reason,they could have molded the wrong.but the 7l5's worked.

David

Fix

I stretch the gasket in all directions to make it bigger. Then I use a couple of drops of thick CA (super glue) from a local hobby shop. You can also buy accelerator to make the glue dry fast. Basically glue on the gasket one are at a time and then mount it on the car.

Smile Hood Emblem Seal

I purchased a seal from Pelican Parts, 7L5-853-611-B and it fits the emblem perfectly. No need for glue.
    Tom Scott

Smile

Thanks for the info...I will try to get a new hood gasket that is a closer fit... David,Thanks for the part number's...I did get the gasket from a aftermarket dealer and the part number was # 901.559.215.20 so I will try the updated one...I do believe that the gasket that I may have gotten was just off a bad mold or something...I could not even get the hood crest to go half way around the seal....Thank you all for the quick response...I will update soon...
    Early S #1468

64 356 SC
    70 911 T
    01 996 TT