Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost for MFI Parts/Installation

Cost for MFI Parts/Installation

I'm sure it's been asked before but I thought I'd ask again based on this new economy we're in...

What would it cost to get...

(a) all MFI parts
    (b) the MFI system rebuilt, up and running

I'd also appreciate a shopping list for all the various components and approx. costs. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Specifics

Need t know what motor it is for and what model (S, E, T) - I assume from you handle that it would be for 2.2S. Also is it for driver or concourse? If driver, you my elect to get a T or E setup and bore it out, but you have to get the plastic instead of the magnesium on the T or the 2.4 E.

My best guess on pricing all components from pump to air cleaner:
    Complete S needing rebuilt $2500
    Complete E needing rebuilt $1750
    Complete T needing rebuilt $1500

being patient and buying up spares my save you some money. Getting pump and TB rebuilt, probably an additional $3000 or more if you install and tune yourself. Very few people know what they are doing though. I have only heard of a couple of names tossed around.

Fuel lines - $300? (S,E, and T are the same)
    Injection Pump - $500-$700 (S specific)
    Throttle Bodies and Stacks - $1000 (S specific)
    Linkages $100+ (S,E, and T are the same)
    Filter Console - $100 (S,E, and T are the same)
    Air Cleaner with velocity stacks $150 (S,and E are the same)
    Injectors - $500 and up (S,E, and T are the same)
    Elec Fuel Pump - $300+ (S,E, and T are "basically" the same)
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Do you have MFI heads?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Olin, thanks for the detailed info. I'm looking into a '70 911E driver so your itemized list is perfect. Are there photos/diagrams of the various parts?

Marco, not sure if they're MFI heads. Also, not sure if I have MFI heat exchangers. What do I need to look for? Also, I see you're in L.A. Can you recommend a shop in the San Gabriel Valley that knows these systems and can recondition/install them?

Why, TLG Auto.

TLGAuto.com

scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

You will want to check that the pump drive is still on the front of the driver side cam.

If not you will have to repace the cam.

Have Marco check it out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 911030 View Post
    Marco, not sure if they're MFI heads. Also, not sure if I have MFI heat exchangers. What do I need to look for? Also, I see you're in L.A. Can you recommend a shop in the San Gabriel Valley that knows these systems and can recondition/install them?
    You have a PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

LOL, sorry Scott. Didn't realize TLG was Marco's shop! Doh... sorry, I'm new to Porsches and the community. The closest shop to me is Scientific Automotive but I haven't heard too many glowing reviews since Roger Bursch sold it years ago (it's changed hands a couple times I believe).

Boba, good idea. Easy enough to have that checked. I'm still in the process of buying the car. The owner had performed a carb swap and used the MFI components as collateral for the PMOs he had installed... thus this scavenger hunt for parts.

Marco, I responded to your PM. Thanks.

Peter, thanks for all the auction coverage! Nice to see the parts are out there... sadly for a premium. Any idea what it costs to rebuild and restore the entire system?

Don't be sorry, just ribbin' .

Olin is pretty much right on w/ costs. If you have no parts, expect $1500-2000 for parts to start with, then about $3500-4000 to rebuild.

If you need parts, I have these at reasonable prices:

Hard fuel lines from Injection Pump to injector
    Injection Pump for '69-71 911E
    Throttle Bodies and Stacks for '69 911E
    Linkages
    Fuel Filter Console
    Air Cleaner with velocity stacks
    Cleaned, excellent tested used Injectors

Since this isn't the classifieds, you can let me know if you need anything. My email address in my sig.

Regards,
    Scott
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay