Thread: Crank Pulley Balance - Potential Vibration

Crank Pulley Balance - Potential Vibration

Engine gurus.... help requested!

During my attempts to seat my fan housing after efforts to better align the fan in the housing (good thing it turned out to be loose nuts not bad shaft bearings) it appears that I caught the bottom lip of the housing on top of the inner lip of the crank pulley (for the fan) with the result of ever-so-slightly distorting the pully inward some. The question to you fellas is 1) would this slight distortion cause vibration on the pulley shaft? and if so 2) would even the slightest bit of vibration over time cause serious issues with case bearings or what not? Understandibly, the pulley rotates quickly, but the mass of the distortion outside of normal true is very slight. I really don't want to try to pry it back into place with a screwdriver in hopes not to bend the pully shaft any. I then thought of filing it back closer to normal true careful not to take too much off to make it underbalanced. Would that help any?

Thoughts?

Many Thanks!
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L

Crank Pulley Balance - Potential Vibration

I would suggest taking the pulley off and then using a solid flat surface as a back-up, try to use a hammer and a blunt piece of steel to carefully hammer the lip back flat. If you can get it to evenly seat all the way around on a flat surface you should be fine. Prying it against some part of blower or case casting is not a good idea.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L