Thread: Tires: New VS Retread

Tires: New VS Retread

Not sure how to approach this subject. I'm sitting in class here at Flight Safety, and a former 737 pilot is stating that Boeing is showing how retread tires are showing a longer life than a brand new Good Year tires used on their airplanes. He's an ex Southwest guy, so safe to say he's put more landings on his tires than any other airline today, and I value the view of this statement. Airplane tires can get retreaded 3 times before they get junked. Granted, these tires are only used for taxi/ takeoff/ and landing, and may not be applicable to the auto world, but I have never heard this type of claim made before.
    My question: do retreads give better results than new in the car world like this mentioned case? In any application, racing, all season, daily driver, or all the above? Is this a phoenomonon akin to any particular brand? Just curious if anyone may know on this subject. If true, it could make the search for tread for 15" fuchs a lot easier to find in this day and age.

You have too much time on your hands.

Retreads are fine for tractor trailer trucks (not the front tires, though!) and farm equipment.

I would hope that somebody here has had the pleasure of dodging a tractor tire when it lets go on the freeway/interstate. Try it on a motorcycle for more adrenalin.

http://www.retread.org/Guide/

http://tiresandcasings.com/index.htm

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Ha Ha. Unfortunately I'm in school for the week at Flight Safety. The subject came up. Just seeing if retread technology had a cross over to the car business from aviation. I'm surprised that retreading is applied to flying. I guess that is a hearty no from you regarding this matter, eh Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by NV Stig View Post
    Ha Ha. Unfortunately I'm in school for the week at Flight Safety. The subject came up. Just seeing if retread technology had a cross over to the car business from aviation. I'm surprised that retreading is applied to flying. I guess that is a hearty no from you regarding this matter, eh Tom.
    You are wise beyond your years.

There was a company that did this but they don't do it anymore. No explanation given (and none was needed). Besides, if you saw the name they put on the tires you would double up laughing. They now offer custom wheels and tires from any manufacturer you could imagine.

Best,

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111